Henry vs proper dust extractor

I brought up the subject of ATEX motors because of the dust in the atmosphere and was continually stone walled by the H&S officer. When I mentioned it to the union rep his reaction was similar, neither wanted to make waves. So I eventually contacted HSE for their opinion but stupidly did it from my work email. Whilst waiting for a reply, (over 2 months), I gave my notice to take early retirement and immediately had my email account frozen. Their reply was they did it to everyone who was leaving to prevent possible sabotage/espionage.

Sponsored Links
So what is it that the Henry lacks that's such a problem?

So what is it that the Henry lacks that's such a problem?

They should be hepa. And not just hepa but true hepa standard.
Look for the serial number and test results printed on true or absolute HEPA filters. Make sure that the test results at 0.3 microns are 99.97 percent or above.
It's not the bag that makes a vacuum HEPA.
In commercial environments where HEPA vacuums are required, such as construction or restoration sites, using standard vacuums with HEPA filters or bags may constitute a violation of EPA rules and may result in a substantial fine.

printed on true or absolute HEPA filters. Make sure that the test results at 0.3 microns are 99.97 percent or above.

It's not quite as simple as that these days - although good to see you quoting from the still current BS3928. This is a response from a major filter manufacturer when asked about current HEPA standards

The latest standards do not refer to a particle size but MPPS (most penetrating particle size) - these standards are not better or worse, just different.

“There are essentially 2 types of test that we use for our HEPA filters. The first is BS3928 the Sodium Flame Test. We use this for all our nuclear grade filters as it is specified in the nuclear filter standards and is the test used for all filters supplied to the MOD. The standard is now 50 years old and is likely to be reviewed in the next year or so, however the basic method, test and validation criteria are unlikely to change.

Then there are the DOP tests which are carried out on all our other, non nuclear grade HEPA filters. The standard test specification for these has been BS EN 1822 which was published in 2010. Parts of this have now been superseded by ISO 29463 from 2018. However part 1 of 1822 is still valid, this being the section that covers the classification, the nature of the performance testing and filter marking. ISO 29463 deals with the test apparatus, test procedures and how the results are interpreted and is, in effect, identical to BS EN 1822 but is designed to be a world standard rather than limited to the UK and Europe. This is particularly relevant to us in light of the Brexit.”

Sponsored Links
Try running that past the HSE - minimum building site spec. is now class L, or class M if you are dealing with hardwood/MDF. RAMS can't and don't over rule CoSHH Regs
There is no minimum standard.

The MHSWR 1999 brought in the concept of risk assessments and method statements, and it is those which state how things things are to be done and how risks will be managed.

So if a suitably qualified person assesses the risk and decides that a particular standard of extraction is required, then that is what is required.

RAMs work in unison with any COSHH data sheet, and both are risk assessments. However the specific site RAMs are the overriding guidance, and they will include how to use and manage risk of the various materials.

So?
What is it that requires this?
If its being used to tidy up after fitting a control panel or boiler, why does it need such certification?

why does it need such certification?

It doesn't. The only thing that matters is that whatever you use is suitable for the task. Yes, the HSE are now insisting on mainly M Class, H Class and Type H (Note there are two different H standards), on construction sites, but the M Class and H Class standards only apply to smaller machines. One of the stipulations is that the product must be contained in a disposable bag. Gets a bit difficult when you have just cleaned up 50 litres of mixed aggregates in e.g. a brick works. - These often use intermediate skips or interceptors. Although big machines may have HEPA or be ATEX rated, they don't necessarily comply with BS-EN 60335 which is the standard that describes M and H Class.

Woody has it right. It all goes back to RAMS.

I asked one of the guys who use a Henry on site, he says that no one cares about their vacuum.
They don't go on sites where you will be clearing up 50 litres of stuff, its usually only a little mess from installing something so possibly a few drilled holes in metal or the wall and some wire clippings.
Nothing requiring the levels being mentioned.

They don't get asked about it, bothered about it or care about it lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back