Henry vs proper dust extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
When i need to use dust extraction with my tools i currently use a henry. I find it performs and performs and performs, ive sucked up piles of bricks dust, wet mortar, all sorts, and it never fails, all i have to do is change the bag.

Does anybody have any experience with proper dust extractors such as the dewalt DWH161 or DCV586? Im just wondering how properoproper dust extractors compare to the henry, are they more powerful and better at sucking up the dust during operation? Or is the henry just as good?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They generally have more power and far better filtration. I have two Metabos (ASR35M and ASR2025L) together with a Makita DVC863L cordless which are all a great improvements on the Henry I had more than a decade ago

If Henry vacs were that good you'd see then on site - you don't any more. This is because their filtration isnt good enough to meet current standards and hasn't been for more than a decade."Proper"(i.e. industrial) vacuums do have one big downside - the cost

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Hetty, (Henry's girlfriend according to my granddaughter LOL), for general cleaning in my workshop. I disposed of the bag because they fill too quickly and I find it easier to just tip the bucket in to the waste bin when it's getting a bit full.
For dust extraction at source I use a Festool Midi. On my cross cut saw and table saw I reckon it collects about 90% of the sawdust and 95% when attached to my hand held router. The bag can fill quite quickly if you are using a planer/thicknesser so I bought some compatible zip ended bags which allows for easy emptying and re-use.
At present I am trying to design a hopper type of head to clip to my lathe bench to catch shavings as I haven't come across a domestic sized unit. All I can find are industril types which I don't have the room or finances for.

Sponsored Links
hmm, the guys at work all use henrys on site?
Mind you, they are not clearing up loads of brick rubble etc.

My wife wants a Henry (ooh errr missus!) but given the cost she bought a really cheap vac that we decided we didnt care if it got knackered foir the current diy job - as long as it did the job (and it is doing).

I remember a woman saying that when she moved into a single flat, she used to talk to the hoover while doing housework.

At Christmas, she got a card from the downstairs neighbours, an invitation to drinks, addressed to "Samantha and Henry"

Get some HEPA bags for the henry if you want better dust extraction?

hmm, the guys at work all use henrys on site?
In which case the guys at work will get written up and fined if the HSE walk in. If the foreman/SM knows about it, so might he. Henry vacuums haven't been legal for construction site use for around 10 years, possibly more (it's to do with testing/rating and CoSHH Regs). Bigger sites tend to be a lot stricter about this TBH

Ill look into this at work.

Are they 230v or 110v

We had a 110v one I the packaging company, ok, it's not a building site but we they were producing cardboard boxes from scratch. i.e. turning huge rolls of paper into corrugated cardboard then forming them into boxes which produced a hell of a lot of cardboard dust fibres. The Henry was only used by us maintenance guys, the cleaners used a Nilfisk 3 motor unit which was 230v

If the RAMs allow it, Henry's can be used.
Really? On a building site? Try running that past the HSE - minimum building site spec. is now class L, or class M if you are dealing with hardwood/MDF. RAMS can't and don't over rule CoSHH Regs. Pretty sure that CoSHH applies to factories and workshops (in fact so does ATEX which is a lot stricter). If you ever get invited to one of the HSE's teaching sessions it's one of the subjects they were covering 5 or 6 years back and still do from time to time on trade shows, etc.

About 6 years aho when dust was their topic (like cranes seem to be right now) I worked on a job where two operatives were fined by a walk-in HSE inspector for incorrect/no dust extraction. £180 each.

Last edited by a moderator:

That could be more to do with the design of the cutting machine. Couple the makita vacuum with the hilti machine and its probably just as good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back