Heresy for purists. Painting undercoat over masonry paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just painting a garden porch,like a lean to, nothing ornate I have recoated the walls with masonry paint and the small windows with undercoat, I prefer the colour to the top coat and not worth buying more paint for two small windows. There is also a small bricked off area under the porch which is protected from the rain.

I would like to paint it the same colour as the windows and again to save money why not use the undercoat I already have ? Farrow and Ball wood and metal external undercoat. I am happy with an old rustic finish and will probably recoat it next years when I do the whole outside.

I reckon it will last OK as the brick is free standing like a barbacue area so no worries about protecting the wall of the house.

Apat from head shaking any comments that might help ?

Sponsored Links
Will you have enough of the undercoat? If not it would be cheaper to get the colour mixed in a decent brand of masonry paint. I am not a fan of F&B paints but I guess the UC will be fine on the walls (albeit difficult to keep clean). Undercoat only on wooden windows- it's Farrow and Ball, it's waterbased- I wouldn't want to chance it but if it is only going to be like that for a year you might be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back