hexagon screws

I'm going to ask a stupid question...

Which part of which regulation states that this chap can't remove this screw on what I understand is his own gas appliance?

Sponsored Links
I think there are a couple of things here:

The original poster came and asked a question, to which the answer seems to be "get a man in". This wasn't (necessarily) what the poster wanted to hear, but that sometimes happens.

However, there seem to be a lot of people on here who labour under the fundamental misapprehension that:
a) if you want to do ANYTHING yourself, you're danger to society and want a tradesman's kids to starve, and / or
b) if you're a tradesman you're one step above a vulture on the evolutionary scale.

And to tradesmen: yes, when your costs go up, you have to pass them on. That's the nature of a free market. HOWEVER, do NOT kid yourself that everyone else can go out "rip some off" to be able to cover those costs. There are such things as fixed incomes, even in a free market.

Here endeth the lesson.

M

Softus said:
Which part of which regulation states that this chap can't remove this screw on what I understand is his own gas appliance?

I think it's that bit about competence.

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
I think it's that bit about competence.
Thanks slippyr4. I'm still hoping that someone will tell me which regulation - I have no respect whatsoever for the holier-than-thou attitude presented by many of the posters on this topic - it almost makes me ashamed to be in the trade.

If it's an old thread then I don't see why it wouldn't be easy to give a pointer towards it.

Ah - now I see - this is an old thread.

Apologies for posting on this topic - I made a mistake with the date.

Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 - Regulation 3 (1) - No person shall carry out work in relation to a gas fitting.....unless he is competent to do so.

Competent is not defined, so in practice one imagines that a prosecution would have to prove incompetence based on installation defects.

Thanks chrishutt - a very specific answer and very helpful.

corgiman said:
yep I do Get CORGI registerd attend a s**t load of Glow worm courses then it will be a piece of cake to do.

or get someone in who has done it

if you find yourselves still too tight to either pay someone or get yourselve qualified then I would suggest that you invest in a set of TORQUE screwdrivers

I`ve been a lurker on this site for awhile now , but reading your response to this question i just had to reply.

I`m a plumbing foreman for a major construction company and been in the industry for 30 + years , working on various sized jobs from 1 bedroom flats to new build high-rise office blocks working with various different grades of tradesman.

Now being corgi registered does NOT make you some kind of god in this industry. It simply means your upto date with the current gas regulations. It is , as i see it , no indication of how good kind a tradesman you are.
I`ve worked with corgi blokes whose installation work ihas been absolutely ****.

Now your reply as to get a corgi registered bloke in to undo screws on his own boiler in his own house is just sheer arrogance on your behalf.

As for going on courses for this and that , anyone technically minded and who can read will be able to fix most problems with a boiler by just reading its manual.

As far as i understand , you can work on your OWN boiler without being corgi.

I stand corrected if i am wrong.

And sorry for responding on an old thread.

Well said, plumbs. We need an occasional injection of common sense.
you can work on your OWN boiler without being corgi.
Providing you're competent, you can work on not only your own boiler but any boiler for anyone without being Corgi registered, providing you are not employed or self-employed in that business.

If someone paid you for the work, you would then arguably be self-employed and would then be in contravention of the regulations if not Corgi registered.

chrishutt said:
Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 - Regulation 3 (1) - No person shall carry out work in relation to a gas fitting.....unless he is competent to do so.

Competent is not defined, so in practice one imagines that a prosecution would have to prove incompetence based on installation defects.

Its not the way I read it chris, all my certificates have certificate of competence printed up the side which I take as meaning I could work on my own appliances without being corgi.

Yes, but one can be competent without having a Certificate to prove it. The Regulations merely say competent without giving any definition of what that means, certainly not having a Certificate.

I'm not defending the Regulations, just reporting what they say. Personally I think it is a very confusing situation for everyone, but sometimes the Law has to be fairly loosely defined so as not to become too overbearing.

chrishutt said:
but sometimes the Law has to be fairly loosely defined so as not to become too overbearing.

And so that a judge has the flexibility to apply common sense to a judgement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back