Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

So my plumber turned up as arranged and removed all the unnecessary pipework which I was glad about. He also removed the towel rail but left the pipework so a new radiator can be fitted as it will be a hallway once complete.

[

Sponsored Links
Floor finally down and now we can start prepping the walls for reskimming which will then allow me to get accurate measurements to design and build the inbuilt storage/wardrobes.

At least we are working indoors now the weather is getting colder and turning :)

So, I've managed to clear up a bit, knock a few more unwanted bits out and generally tidy up to get the wall where the bath/shower was plastered up

Sponsored Links
I was at Grand Designs last Thursday as wanted to see the Eclisse pocket door in action and see what discount I could get on one from the show.

I was pretty happy with the system and its new anti-slam device and ordered one there and then which was delivered the very next day. With family commitments for the weekend, I set about putting it together on Monday morning and decided on a fire door as the extra weight will help keep it vertical and slide better.

Heres the frame coming together

Progress has been pleasantly steady as having not fitted a sliding door before we had to make sure it was all fitted accordingly and as it's not usually done the way we did it (both sides plasterboard and fitted into a stud not against it) just so we didn't cause any damage or attached parts that would be damaged if removed. we finally got the frame into a position where all the parts work well

We even managed to get a few coats of paint on the door and fitted that too with the anti slam device to protect our 5 year old fingers :)

Last edited:
The front bedroom id practically complete but for some minor architrave and then its all ready for painting albeit I now plan to move the radiator across as I feel a bed would be better position against the gable end wall and head near the window as it would give a much more usable space.

Ive done a bit of plastering and painting where the new wardrobes I'm going to build will go, which funnily enough have arrived and are currently taking up all the floor space in the new bedroom!!!

Last edited:
Also had the electrician come over and remove all the existing lights as they did not line up anymore and will be repositioned which gave the brother-in-law the enviable task of coming and skimming the ceiling after we had patched up all the holes from the existing lights and extractor fan that used to be in the bathroom

Last edited:
So.... At what point do you say "enough is enough" :mrgreen:

It seems that overtime I do something, I have to change something else !!! grrrrr :mad:

So, I go to thinking that as the rear extension has a fire door into the garage, the garage is predominantly colder albeit its all lined with insulated plasterboard and has an insulated roller door on it, it will still be cold!
I didn't fancy the idea of draughts into the tv/dining room so...

Where I built the stud wall for the washer & dryer to go.....

I decided to extend it and make it into a dedicated laundry room....

Stud built and insulated...

Boarded out

And a new door that 'was' fitted to the new bedroom has now been relocated into the door frame in the now laundry room :D

The ceilings that were skimmed last weekend are now painted and the electrician is coming over in the morning to fit all the new lighting thankfully as the halogen lamp I bought from screw fix when i started this project has been getting a great workout..

In-fact i have bought that many tools, I should have shares in the company

There was some skimming to do and as the brother in law was committed with other jobs, I decided to do it myself, I've done some before during this everlasting project so I was to daunted by it and it was only 2 small areas... for now

And finally to bring me up to date...

We really didn't like the cheap crap doors Persimmon use on this house and it was about time we changed them anyway, so with my dad having hung the new door in the bedroom, I left it to 'er indoors to tell him 'she' had decided she wanted new doors instead....

And very nice they are too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back