Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

Great project. Nearly donbe now. Your old man is a diamond!
I was wondering what your line of work was, leaving the country for weeks at a time?

Sponsored Links
Great project. Nearly donbe now. Your old man is a diamond!
I was wondering what your line of work was, leaving the country for weeks at a time?

Thanks Guitar_man, much appreciated

Yep, my father is a godsend, his trade skill is as a carpenter but he used to have his own business building factories and houses. I used to work for him during my younger years whilst between jobs and during jobs ha ha. These days he's happy just to keep the grey matter working and staying active which I am glad about.

I work a 12 days on 9 off schedule for DHL Asia, so spend a lot of time out in Hong Kong and around that area.

I started this project as something I have always wanted to do but due to working away, I couldn't project manage a contractor to do it and I really wanted to be involved and make decisions and alterations as I went.
I have so many grand design and building magazines that I have collected as I find myself in WH Smiths at the airport looking for ideas and reading material.

OK so this is small scale to most of the lads on here, but to me I have no training with most of what I have done, I usually see it done once and I have a good idea, so crack on with it. You Tube & Google are a godsend as are some of the members on here.

Anyway......

Last edited:
Started fitted a new bathroom door as we didn't like the one we fitted so after a serious amount of door varnishing we set about removing the original
On the bottom guide there is a guide rail for the pocket door system and needed to remove this without damaging it as although a new one was only 11 quid, the postage Eclisse wanted was also 11 quid which was taking the pee somewhat, so managed to remove the original from the bottom of the door and fitted it to the new door, which now matches the rest of the upstairs doors

Next up was to get the plastering finished and the first coat of bare plaster paint up, ready for me to start fitting the architrave and skirting.

Sponsored Links
I have also fitted a new aerial in the loft, giving me another 20 channels to watch whilst having a bath :)

Ordered all the LED lighting for the rear extension tv unit, scrubbed the floors and now hoping to have that room finished by the end of the is week so that we can se it.

The only issue being the electrician we were using, whom we had been using for years is no longer answering calls or returning messages. I have basically had to give up on him for being so unreliable and untrustworthy and speaking to an ex colleague of his, he's now well known for it.
Oddly enough I don't owe him anything and guess he'd rather look for the big money jobs than repeat customers as I was.

There's not a lot left to do, its just getting the jobs done in a timely manner and people being available, plumber, electrician (if I can find a reliable one)

I need the Cat5e cables sorted in the loft space as there are no connectors on them
All electrical sockets fitted and connected up in the garage and lighting fitted

Plumber needs to move a radiator and fit 2 more, one in the hallway and one in the new laundry area.

Tile & grout the laundry room floor with tiles I have left over :D not a big area so won't take long

Plaster the garage

Paint & Decorate

Started off with getting the skirting and architrave fitted today. I cracked on with it and happy with how it tuned out.

I also fitted lost risers so that I can get some more insulation in the original part of the house. You know what those look like from a previous post whereby i insulated the loft of the new extension.

Finally, I started to set out the inbuilt wardrobes in the hallway to see how the spacing is and what infill panels I'll need. At the moment I have 50mm to make up, 25 a side, if I use panels between the units to make up separate hanging areas but can increase it to 34mm a side if i use one less panel and have a larger hanging rail.

The sliding doors to be fitted are 610mm wide each which is 1830mm in total with 3 doors, the width of the opening is 1880mm

Been a busy week with my sons school nativity, finding an electrician and getting to grips with building the wardrobes and sorting out the rear extension/laundry area.

So, progress has been made as I laid out the wardrobes....

currently looking like this

With only the clothes rail to be cut and fitted and the tracks for the sliding doors to be fixed in place once I choose how I will lay the bottom track.

I only have about 18-20mm to play with so I'm considering laying a couple of pieces of laminate flooring as close a match to the furniture as I can find as they are thin and can easily be cut to shape.

Laying straight on the current floor may pose an issue when we have the carpets fitted a there will be an inch or two between the track and plinth to fill so if i can use laminate flooring just for the track and up to the plinth that negates any issues I think and it won't be seen anyway when the doors are in position.

The laundry area has power in it now with all the sockets wired and fitted and skimming has commenced.

The rear extension is fully wired now with all the Cat5 cabling finally connected and the tv fitted in place. Had an issue with the bracket for the play bar as it is supposed to fit 40+" TV's but it doesn't so the supplier is coming to rectify the issue in the morning.

Nice job. Where are the wardrobes from?

They are actually kitchen units! But used as wardrobe internal storage if you making it to measure

500mm drawer units
300mm tall cupboard
Clothes rail & brackets
Various end panels (tall/standard) to make up the tops and sides.

All from Howdens

Happy New year everyone.....

Hopefully this project will be coming to an end as its been ongoing a while, partly due to only being able to do it during my days off, getting the plumber & electrician in at the times I needed and not always working out and life/family commitments :

Anyway, I shall continue where I left off...

Ok, so my built in wardrobe didn't go 'totally to plan' and my first big embarrassing mistake was revealed when I slid the 610mm width doors open only to reveal no matter what position the doors are in the centre drawers would not open :LOL:

The overall width of the wardrobe is 1827mm, the doors being 610 means they overlap the drawers in the centre thus rendering them unusable

However, I decided I could just replace them with a shelved carcass unit and use the 2 I remove on another project I have in mind. So although they are not as i imagined, all (storage) is not lost.

The new laundry area is now skimmed and looking much better

Also the plumber turned up today to finish off the rest of the moving around and fitting of radiators etc...

To stick with the above, I had the radiator from the new bedroom removed (for reason explained later) and refitted in the laundry room

Will start tiling the floor in the morning!! just needs painting and the worktop fitting above where the washer and dryer will be fitted

The front bedroom is a little narrow giving few options in regards to where a bed would be positioned so, I decided to move the radiator and have an upright one installed giving us the option to position the bed under the window. Personally I think it was a better decision and allowed us to make best use of the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back