Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

Finally for now, had some colours samples made up for the hallway and with the new radiator fitted in there too, all that needs doing here to to finalise the paint choice, finish off the skirting and a piece of architrave and gloss them and fit the rebated step I had made to order to compensate for the weird

Had a quote for a carpet we like and its just a case of getting it fitted as and when the decorating is complete.

Tiling and glossing starts tomorrow so updates will be forthcoming :)

Sponsored Links
The Laundry room is now looking better and hopefully it will be painted later today and ready for me to start fitting the worktop and washer dryer.

I tiled the floor using the excess tiles left over from the rear extension & patio. I am happy to report after finishing I only had 1 of the wider tiles left (y) but have a full pack of the thinner ones!!!

I left the obligatory 4 hours before grouting, meaning I had to start at 2130hrs last night and finished cleaning up at midnight !!!

So to conclude this weeks instalment before I head off to work for a couple of weeks, I have managed to nearly do what i needed to but for a couple of cosmetics touches

I was able to clean up the tiles and they look good, so I am happy with that

Next up was to start painting, I had a tester pot which was a decent size and one we tried in the hallway but we have decided against it, so to save to wasting it I used two of them up in the laundry area

And heres the other colour and also me having commenced putting in the end panels and wood strip for the worktop to be fitted onto. The end panels I sourced off eBay and a local seller. I priced them up at B&Q but were 36 quid each!!! I bought these 2 brand new 'Howdens' jobbies for 15 quid :)

Sponsored Links
And finally for now, The new Dryer (Condenser) & washing Machine, in place all levelled and connected up, with the worktop in place.

And a shot looking the other war showing the bullnose architrave and skirting all fitted

Thats it for a couple of weeks and when I come back, hopefully I'll finish off the laundry room Painting and fix some other items we have bought for the room, then clean out the rear extension and start using it :)

I'll also continue on upstairs now as the bedroom skirting and architrave has been glossed and ready for painting, then carry on painting the hallway and stairwell to make it look a bit better, once we have chosen the final colour that is.

Getting there.

Its been a while!!

Been rather busy having a family and work life to update the thread! It seems the decorating side of things takes way too long :mrgreen:

We managed to sell the old tumble drier that had been let in the red extension until the laundry room was near finished so I had no excuses to tidy everything up, and unpack all the furniture, moreso the new TV and connect up the PS4 thats been in hibernation for 2 years

My little boy has already claimed the best seat in the house and remote control, I have to suffer Disney channel in glorious High Definition o_O

Next up was to sort out the bedroom decoration and I had some influence, well lets say most the influence on colours...

Being a marvel superhero fan like my boy....

All I need to do is make up a little frame for some glass and create a hinged glass door for above the wardrobe then just needs a carpet.

Worst thing about decorating is, it always makes the original decorations look old, so I have actually started replacing all the skirting and architrave around the house and have started that i realised the stairs needed doing which resulted in lot and lots of sanding in preparation for undercoating and new gloss.
Luckily the carpet on the stairs will be replaced so I just cut what i needed to, to get to the corners

Today was a busy day decluttering!
The garden had amassed lots of stuff that was no longer needed and the garage was full of tools and building materials that was totally disorganised
So a couple of hours emptying the garage in time for the B-I-L to turn up and start plastering the garage

A few runs to the local waste disposal site resulted in a much better and more organised surroundings! and the plastering was going well too

I'll be doing more decorating this week as I am on leave from work so more updates will be forthcoming...

Getting there, as they say

Great thread. I should probably start one for my planned extension to use a form of therapy.

Sorry its been a while. With my little boy off school when I am home its difficult to justify carrying on with the house as time with him is precious so I agreed to myself only to work when he is at school.

The garage is nearly fully skimmed but for a couple of small runs but I have mist coated all the plaster as it was dry having been away for a couple of weeks with work.

I also had the electricians around to fit the lights in the garage which Im glad I chose as I think the are great :)

I also cracked on an painted the hallway and stairs, just the glossing of all the new skirting boards and architrave to do and touch up in a couple of areas

Now one of the projects I have been desperate to get done was a new shed/summerhouse as I no longer have a shed and the patio I laid some 10+ years ago was in desperate need of replacing.

So I have measured it up and purchased nearly all the materials I need to build a shed that will be the exact shape of this patio

Ill give you an idea of how awkward it will be as the dimensions are; (looking at the photo)
Front edge 4m
Left side 2.9m
Rear 2.5m
Right side 2.6m

Yep, crap dimensions but a standard shed is just not going to cut it and will be too much wastage. I also had a quote for a bespoke shed which was 7k (UKP). My calculations using good quality timber, etc is 1500 at the very most.

Anyway, today was sunny and dry so, up came the slabs

Last edited:
Luckily, I had already used concrete blocks on the perimeter and they are still solid so will be using them for the frame work and intend to remove all the sand and hardcore (hardcore will be reused) and lay more blocks for the framework to sit on so it won't bounce as such.

The build will comprise of 3x2 framework, which will be covered in tyvek wrap and a 20mm shiplap. 18mm OSB will be used for the internal floor and roof and the roof will be finished off with an EPDM roof kit. Internally it will have a 50mm celotex within the framework.
I already have some UPVC double glazed double doors to fit which were for sale locally, the frame which you can see in the photo :)

My electrician will be running the armoured cable into it so I have power too

I will get all the groundwork done this week in preparation to build the shed next time I am home as I'm still trying to source a supplier of decent shiplap of which I need about 26m2

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back