Hi ho.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An old widowed lady who lives five doors from me, has lost her backyard door to the weather, and if I'm right it been over two years now, I've seen it rot away, and disintegrate.

Looking at her yard, she hasn't got the finances to pay for a new door, and the brickwork is shot too.

Question is, is there any emergency finance available for minor repairs for older people who live on their own? I feel kinda bad for not helping out.

Thankyou.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
I think the obvious place to try first is Social Services, certainly if she is finding it difficult to look after herself properly.

Or you could help out!

Probably not. Old people who need help don't get it these days. All funds are directed towards immigrants, asylum seekers and state spongers.

No family I take it? I assume it's not council/housing association?

Sponsored Links
No family I take it? I assume it's not council/housing association?

She had two local young lads clearing her backyard after years of neglect.
Had it been council owed, I'm guessing the boys would have been in uniform.

That's why she's loaded. She's waiting for a mug to come along. I know people like this.

I think the obvious place to try first is Social Services, certainly if she is finding it difficult to look after herself properly.

Or you could help out!

Help out? Put the door up for her? I can buy it for her, but I doubt she'll open her door to a stranger ... Hummm. Let me try social services.

She was probably a **** parent and they don't bother with her. I know people like that.

Okay. I doubt Social Services will assist unless she needs some form of 'assistance' to look after herself. They will probably say that (a) she has family to assist with repairs (b) the house is privately owned and not council (c) the rear door/gate is not a necessity for residence.

Just guessing but one or all of them will be put forward. There are age charities but, again, they will probably make the same points.

By all means try SS but don't be surprised if they aren't interested.

Okay. I doubt Social Services will assist unless she needs some form of 'assistance' to look after herself. They will probably say that (a) she has family to assist with repairs (b) the house is privately owned and not council (c) the rear door/gate is not a necessity for residence.

Just guessing but one or all of them will be put forward. There are age charities but, again, they will probably make the same points.

By all means try SS but don't be surprised if they aren't interested.

Ouch!!! Wow, what can I say. :/

I'm gonna try a local councillor and get him to push some buttons.
This needs doing, I've not mentioned the 'hungry' metal collectors that drive past. :/

I'm gonna update this as soon as I get a reply, or good news, fingers crossed.

The other thing is what the husband did. Certain professions have assistance for widows but I am guessing you haven't a clue what he did!

Sponsored Links
Back