Hidden dangers of a light bulb

Sponsored Links
None of this with the good old tungsten filament light bulbs. Perhaps a few cut fingers/feet off broken glass, but certainly nothing like this.
When I worked for the local council, there was a set procedure to be undertaken following any accidental breakages of fluorescent/energy saving lamps. It involved the evacuation of whatever room/office was involved. The opening of windows (to ventilate the room) the donning of a throw away protective suit, gloves and mask to clear up the offending broken lamp and the filling in of about 4 forms.
None of this disposing of used lamps in the normal refuse either. We had to provide a special container for the disposal of these. Still,,, I suppose it kept quite a few pen pushers in comfy jobs. ;) ;)

PS Mod 11, I wouldn't say the pics are revolting,,, Graphic perhaps but certainly not revolting.

It just goes to show what dangers the EU law has forced upon us, phase out perfectly good incandescent lamps 100watt and replace them with toxic time bombs.

Wotan

So the bulb made him remove it while hot, drop it because he can't handle a warm object (really, they're not that hot.), and step on the glass he just dropped on the floor?

Don't blame the bulb, blame the idiot.

Sponsored Links
He was quite careless. And no decent foot wear.

People do have accidents, I can't imagine him doing that on purpose, the issue is the toxic material contained within.

Wotan

A simple accident is one thing.

First mistake: Choosing to remove a hot bulb.
Second mistake: Dropping it (CFLs aren't that hot).
Third mistake: Blindly climbing down onto the glass.

That wasn't an accident, that was stupidity at work.

People do have accidents, I can't imagine him doing that on purpose, the issue is the toxic material contained within.

Wotan

A simple accident is one thing.

First mistake: Choosing to remove a hot bulb.
Second mistake: Dropping it (CFLs aren't that hot).
Third mistake: Blindly climbing down onto the glass.

That wasn't an accident, that was stupidity at work.

As Wotan said accidents do happen, but the real problem is that of the toxic material contained in the fitting. Maybe they are a means of nuclear power stations recycling their waste!

Nobody would intentionally have gone through the experience of this poor chap.

As Wotan said accidents do happen, but the real problem is that of the toxic material contained in the fitting. Maybe they are a means of nuclear power stations recycling their waste!

Nobody would intentionally have gone through the experience of this poor chap.

There's toxic material in the every day fluorescent tubes we've used for decades, I don't see you whining about those. There's toxic material all over your car (petrol, oils, greases, antifreeze, brake dust, exhaust fumes..). There's toxic material everywhere, but you treat those safely. Why not CFLs? Oh, right, because you're ignorant of their contents despite the warnings on the packets and the fact that they're fluorescent tubes like any other.

Dangerous materials are not the problem. People being stupid is the problem.

Monkeh, for all we know, the patient could have been elderly or perhaps disabled. BTW I change these energy efficient light bulbs on a regular basis at work,,, and some of them do get quite hot to the touch. What we consider fairly warm, might seem hot to someone else.

Monkeh, for all we know, the patient could have been elderly or perhaps disabled. BTW I change these energy efficient light bulbs on a regular basis at work,,, and some of them do get quite hot to the touch. What we consider fairly warm, might seem hot to someone else.

I can hold onto a 21W CFL indefinitely, not hot enough to burn. Same goes for the 7W tubes in my computer cupboard. Hot, not hot enough to burn. I've never encountered a CFL or fluorescent tube which runs hot enough to burn, and in the case of CFLs the plastic portion would begin to melt if it got that hot. Incandescents, on the other hand, will melt skin off.

If the guy was elderly or disabled he shouldn't have been climbing up on a chair to change a light bulb.

Very true. He could have the likes of arthritis, or may have had a 'funny turn' whilst on the step ladder. Sensible people tend not to jump to concusions.

Very true. He could have the likes of arthritis, or may have had a 'funny turn' whilst on the step ladder. Sensible people tend not to jump to concusions.

And we should abandon more efficient technologies because they have the potential to be dangerous because of random events?

Let's get rid of petrol, too. All knives. Anything whatsoever which could hurt you!

CFLs are not a problem. Random unfortunate events do happen but from the scenario laid out in the document in this very thread, it was simply a series of stupid mistakes.

Why introduce toxic materials into the home, when so many other things have been banned because they are likely (supposedly) dangerous to our health.
What gives anyone to right to tell us what type of lighting to use?

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back