hidden dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power at my house is on the higher side, pushing 250, as a result light bulbs, even energy saving do-not last as long as they should, could i install in the ceiling, or else-where a dimmer switch, turned down a tad (technicla term i know) to reduce the voltage to around 230 to run low energy lights, or will they not work, i know that they cant be dimmed which i why i dont want to replace the switches.

Sponsored Links
Afaik no, dimmers work by clipping the waveform as opposed to altering the amplitude (voltage), afaik dimmers do not work with Compact Flourescent lamps.
If the voltage is too high it is maybe worth a phonecall to your electric company to come and put a voltage event recorder in for a short period to see if there is a problem (i.e. if max voltage exceeds 253v).

nope can't generally use a normal dimmer with compact flouresents though you might get away with it depending on the design of the dimmer and the bulbs.

from his post it sounds like he is just within the allowed voltage band though deffinately pushing the high side of it.

the ideal soloution would be an autotransformer with a very slight step down but i don't know if anyone makes them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back