Hidden fixing shelf, heavy loads.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a shelf in an alcove, so supported on 2 short sides and 1 long side.

Actual finished shelf will be about 100mm thick.

I dont want to see any fixings.

Its to take a fish tank though so will need to support 250k, call it 300 to be safe.

Shelf finish will be wood, but i guess im going to need to make some kind of internal framework then skin it after to make it look nice.

Any ideas how i can do this? The mountings that is.

Walls are brick, hard brick too.

My only thought is to weld up a metal frame from maybe 2" box steel then bolt it to the walls. One wall is the party wall, one is the chimney breast, the long back wall seperates living room from utility.
What kind of wall fixings may take this weight?
I think the box frame will need anti crush tubes welding in for the bolts to go through so they can be tightened properly.
The fixing on the long back edge can be through bolted if need be.

Thats as far as ive thought.

I know i can make up a steel frame thats more than capable of taking the weight, but as for fixing it in place, it would be guess work for me as to if it would take the weight or not.

Any help/ideas gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
we need to know the width and depth off the shelves for a good guess

Sponsored Links
Ive used those before fixing glazing wind posts into concrete tower blocks.

They seemed pretty good.

Are they better than sleeve type bolts?

I think so, just so long as you're fixing into solid block/brick.

Yeah, solid brick. 1950's built ex council house so its all pretty sturdy.

What about the framework. 2" box steel overkill?

I have some 2" angle i could use, or i could use a framework of 3x2 timber. Would be simpler to attach the boarding to make it look solid.

Most of the load will be very close to the wall i guess as its suported on 3 sides so the fixings are in shear rather trying to be pulled out.

As long as the frame doesnt bend at the front, but i wouldnt have thought a 3x2 would bend.

Any thoughts?

39"x16"x20".
55 gallons, 250k in weight.

Shelf will be 39" wide (tank fits exactly!) and 18" deep.

39"x16"x20".
55 gallons, 250k in weight.

Shelf will be 39" wide (tank fits exactly!) and 18" deep.

the last fish tank base i made in an alcove was slightly narrower

made up a frame 2 side bits the desired length minus 1"

4 lengths off 4x2 par[96x44mm] bit at the front set back 44mm then at 1/2 then back

lay all the pieces on the floor
screw through the sides into into the long timbers 3x3.5" screws into every end making sure the first timber is exactly a timber thickness [44mm]from the front edge

drill and countersink at front and each gap down each side 2 screws each position
and 3 along the back angled down slightly from the top and and up from the bottom

once secured affix a further timber to the 44mm gap at the front to fill the space screwed into place
take a bit off 5x1 par affix to the front edge with a 12mm lip up top and underneath
cut an glue in 12mmply to the top and underneath

Ive made loads of bases, a simple base of sheet chipboard is more than enough to hold a fish tank.

However, i dont want any kind of support underneath, just a hidden fixing shelf in an alcove.

Ive made loads of bases, a simple base of sheet chipboard is more than enough to hold a fish tank.

However, i dont want any kind of support underneath, just a hidden fixing shelf in an alcove.

my design is unsupported underneath its simply set back 5mm from the front off the alcove 119mm thick and no visible ply edges or fixings just smooth ply fronted with planed timber
its just a shelve no more no less

If you have it I'd use box or angle fixed to the alcove, just drill through and bolt to the wall.
Fit wood on top and then finish the front off with a trim piece so it covers the frame

Sponsored Links
Back