Hidden pipe radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are replacing our radiator, we want the pipes to come out the wall and not floor.

Can you run flexible pipe up into partition and have it come out behind the radiator for a clean pipe free look?
20230219_122321.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, lots of new builds use push fit pipe in this way. Run your pipe and pressurise it before boarding over if you can to test for leaks. I'd personally finish it with copper coming out of the wall for a neater finish.

For the neatest finish you'll need non-standard valves (where the in and out are at a horizontal rather than vertical 90°. And you need to be spot- on with where the pipes exit the wall (if I was doing one I'd rough-fit the board, hang the rad-shimmed to allow for tiles etc- fit the valves & mark and drill board, then dismount & sort pipework.

Sponsored Links
I've seen this product, do you think this would work. Could the pipes come up from the bottom and into cavity then out of this connector?
Screenshot_20230222_061652_Chrome.jpg

I've seen this product, do you think this would work. Could the pipes come up from the bottom and into cavity then out of this connector? View attachment 296475
Yes you can do it that way but as @ktuludays says, it looks rather pony. Plus (in your case) you'll have a couple of pushfit converters hidden under the floor or in the wall which is not ideal.

Yeah, I think the less connection in the cavity the better.

Going to go with copper pipes coming out the wall, something like this.
Screenshot_20230226_110801_Chrome.jpg

So we got someone out to fit the new pipes for radiator, pipes coming out from cavity.

What do you think of job?

Is this the best way to do it?
Cost was £90 for parts and I think it was about 2 hours.

IMG-20230313-WA0003.jpg

So we got someone out to fit the new pipes for radiator, pipes coming out from cavity.

What do you think of job?

Is this the best way to do it?
Cost was £90 for parts and I think it was about 2 hours.

View attachment 298293
Unless you specified you wanted it all as soldered copper then it's ok.

Personally as it's gonna be hidden and under a floor I'd have used full soldered copper and had a bend rather than joint in the wall.

Is it pressurised currently? Before you cover it I'd make sure it has water in it and is leak free

As above- burying compression fittings in the wall and pushfits under the floor wouldn't be my first plan. Those notches in the joists are a bit big (but they look quite old so maybe not your handypersons fault).
Have you checked your radiator to see where the brackets go- those studs may or may not be in the right place, consider noggins between them rather than fixing to plasterboard.

I'm sorry but did this person come recommended? JG pushfit is ok and will do the job but looking at the overall quality then whoever did it doesn't seem to be an experienced plumber/heating pro, more a handy man as suggested, either that or they just couldn't be bothered.

It wouldn't have taken much effort to solder all of that. Thought you wanted chrome out the wall into the valve?

Unless you specified you wanted it all as soldered copper then it's ok.

Personally as it's gonna be hidden and under a floor I'd have used full soldered copper and had a bend rather than joint in the wall.

Is it pressurised currently? Before you cover it I'd make sure it has water in it and is leak free
I didn't specify what I wanted. I assumed it would all be soldered copper.

Heating is pressured and no leaks.

As above- burying compression fittings in the wall and pushfits under the floor wouldn't be my first plan. Those notches in the joists are a bit big (but they look quite old so maybe not your handypersons fault).
Have you checked your radiator to see where the brackets go- those studs may or may not be in the right place, consider noggins between them rather than fixing to plasterboard.
He fitted the studs and has marked the floor so I assume he's measured it for the radiator bracket. He says to contact him once finished to fit rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back