Hideaway glowworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having problems with my HW at the moment, my issue is that the hot water is only lukewarm and the CH could be boiling, I have located one zone vavle that looks to be connected to the return pipe (valve, pump, boiler) I cannot find the second one as the first one isnt a 3 way.

Yesterday I had the emersion tank on which in turn gave out hot water as it used to be.

Anyone know any possible issues which may cause the HW to be lukewarm,

As far as my investigation everything seems to be working as it should and the only thing I could think is air in the system. But if the system hasnt been touched is that even possible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You say that the motorised valve is in the 'return' is that from the central heating or hot water cylinder pipework?

When you say the heating is boiling, do you mean that the radiators are extremely hot when you touch them, or that the house is hot?

Do you have a thermostat on your hot water cylinder? It will look something like below and be fixed to the cylinder about one third of the way up from the bottom.

can you post a pic of the pipes at the top of your Gloworm hideaway it could be that you have gravity HW

Sponsored Links
You say that the motorised valve is in the 'return' is that from the central heating or hot water cylinder pipework?

When you say the heating is boiling, do you mean that the radiators are extremely hot when you touch them, or that the house is hot?

Do you have a thermostat on your hot water cylinder? It will look something like below and be fixed to the cylinder about one third of the way up from the bottom.

Its 22mm pipe so I assumed it was for the central heating return, the motor is always connected to this same pipe and when the hot water tap is on the motor does kick in..

Boiling as in you cannot touch the heaters

I couldnt see any thermostats on the cylinder but will have another look

no just so we can see how many pipes come from the top of your boiler, you can have a fully pumped system or a gravity HW system, they work very differently

no just so we can see how many pipes come from the top of your boiler, you can have a fully pumped system or a gravity HW system, they work very differently

I think 3 pipes which mean its a system boiler ? Would that be correct,

If not Il get my brother to have a look as its his house

need a pic to see pipe sizes if you have 2 x 28mm pipes running up from the boiler good chance it is gravity HW if you have pumped CH the CH pipes may well go down the way, its a heat only boiler not a system boiler they are similar but not the same thing

need a pic to see pipe sizes if you have 2 x 28mm pipes running up from the boiler good chance it is gravity HW if you have pumped CH the CH pipes may well go down the way, its a heat only boiler not a system boiler they are similar but not the same thing

Will get a picture for you later on

Hi

Ive had a look at theres two 22mm pipes (one with automatic air vent) and a 15mm gas pipe

HWC has 4 pipes (2 22mms, 2 15mms) and a theromstat that seems to be going to the plug for emirson tank

then you have a fully pumped system so if you have located one zone valve and it is 2 port then there probably is another somewhere, might be next to the HW cylinder

then you have a fully pumped system so if you have located one zone valve and it is 2 port then there probably is another somewhere, might be next to the HW cylinder

I agree with you fully on this but I cannot actually locate a second one, but if there was one it would be (im guessing ) working fine as the hot water is still ok but not as hot as it used to get.

When the emorsions on the water is hot like it used to which maybe suggests air in the coil inside tank? Would
You
Agree

It can happen , a pic paints a thousand words and different set ups are bled differently ,post a pic of your cylinder and I will tell you if there is an air release point, have you located the wiring centre ? if so post a pic and someone will tell you if you have two zone valves or just one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back