Hideous noise when running water..

Hello folks,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I stopped worrying so much after your replies and the plumbing noise slipped down the to-do list a bit..

However, I have now investigated further and the big tank is unlike one I've ever seen before. It's round, plastic and has a fitted lid with some kind of vent(?) sticking out of the top. Next to it is a smaller, oblong tank also made of plastic with a fitted lid.

Any clues much appreciated, needless to say.

House insurance? What's that? (Only kidding)..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Small tank is the f&e for central heating system / boiler. The large tank is what feeds your hot water cylinder and probably SOME cold water outlets ,and is the one that needs attention .

Thanks Terry,

Do I just remove the lid and it's like an old-fashioned loft tank? What about the vent/thingy on top? is it attached to anything inside?

I assume the " vent thingy" that you refer to is a copper pipe that raises high above the tank ,and drops down into it. If so ,that is the vent pipe ,which is a safety pipe ,In the event of hot water reaching excessive temperature in your cylinder . so yes remove the lid to reveal the inlet valve / ball cock. The vent pipe is open ended ,and drops an inch or two below the lid into the tank.

Sponsored Links
I'm uploading 2 pictures - I hope that's ok. Some forums don't like it...

Not sure how to remove the lid with that pipe sticking down into it. The vent thingy is the white thing on the right. Sorry about my terminology/ignorance.

one.jpg
two.jpg

Perfectly normal. You just lift the lid off. You might find you can lift it a bit and swivel it round, pivoting on that pipe. You may find it easier if you cut the tape or string holding the foam pipe lagging in place and fold it upwards away from the pipe it insulates. Or you may be able to lift the pipe so it comes out of the hole in the lid.

The lid is made of thinnish plastic and is quite flexible.

The white plastic 'thingy' on top of the lid and also the white 'thingy' on the side, connected to the overflow are part of a bylaw kit. These have to be fitted to new tanks and should be retro-fitted to old tanks during overhaul etc, in conjunction with a sealed lid.
It is to prevent animals and insects entering the cistern, in search of water and then drowning and decomposing in your water supply. They also allow the tank to breathe by preventing a vacuum forming with the rise and fall of the water level and also to provide an air gap between water in the tank and the overflow during a fault.

As advised, either unwrap insulation from the expansion pipe and slide the lid up it, or gently lift it out of the rubber grommet that seals it to the tank lid and lift and rotate the lid to give you access. Upon reinstatement, make sure everything is made airtight again.

Thanks both.

I'll have a go soon and report back.

Quite nice to know I'm not showering in a solution of decomposed pigeon..

I'll have a go soon and report back.

The photo in #20 shows some liquid staining around the base of the cold water storage tank where the outlet connections are located,is there a water leak there ?

It maybe an historic event but nice to know there are no water leaks before starting work. happy plumbing (y)

Hello folks,

Thank you all for your help. However I've decided to go for the wrinkly old plumber option. Maybe the professionals here just happen to have a valid point..

Why? Because yesterday evening one of our radiators decided to burst open (corrosion). The inlet valve turned out to be completely immovable, causing a period of running around like a headless chicken, turning things off, throwing down towels, running taps and generally panicking, whilst shouting "Don't panic". Followed by fifteen hours without a water supply.

Today, our insurer's preferred plumber came round and isolated the radiator with no little difficulty, due to the fact that the inlet valve was jammed and also turned out to be some kind of weird fitting.

Luckily, this all occured in the downstairs cloakroom with minimal damage, but the thought of watching a similar event in the loft has filled me with renewed respect for the plumbing fraternity. I shall happily engage one of them to sort this out, fix the float valve in the loft and swap a couple more dodgy looking radiators while he's about it. A lot easier, and potentially a lot cheaper than repairing a couple of ceilings and sundry carpets and soft furnishings which the insurers might walk away from...

the thought of watching a similar event in the loft has filled me with renewed respect for the plumbing fraternity.

What a breath of fresh air... Thanks for that, for some reason, the general attitude towards plumbers on this forum, is one of disdain :sick:. Still, I suppose it follows on from the normality of the physical world where one very rarely gets a phone call from a customer just to say thank you!

As for your fears regarding a cold water cistern in the loft, remaining unchecked for years perhaps, you'd be amazed how many disasters I, for one, have prevented by spotting imminent failure of one component or another up in a loft, whilst carrying out other plumbing works elsewhere in a property. It's another reason why more homeowners want to go unvented... annual service and appraisal for circa 80 quid... well worth the peace of mind IMO. (y)

You're very welcome. My own attitude to any qualified tradesman is respect. I don't know why I even contemplated messing about with the plumbing. Normally I wouldn't tackle water or electrics. I suppose it just sounded deceptively easy. That changed when I discovered our broken radiator had a completely jammed valve, water everywhere, and I had no idea how to stop it. Ooh, I thought. Wouldn't it be handy if a qualified plumber was here right now..

I suppose I too am guilty of not 'phoning to say thanks, but I usually respond to a job well done with an extra few quid for the man who did it, and if his firm rings to ask whether I'm satisfied I give credit where it's due. I count myself lucky to have had a relatively harmless reminder that things can always go wrong. If that radiator had burst while I was asleep, or at work, it would have been a right mess. A leak in the loft doesn't bear thinking about.

Before I close this thread, I have a couple more questions if anyone can help..

Firstly, the hot water (and the heating) seem to have stopped functioning. The boiler works, but only fires up for a minute or so, even though the system should be calling for hot water (or heat). I'm waiting for a professional to come round, but in the meantime hot water would be nice. It's probably something I did wrong in my panic to shut everything off when the radiator burst..

Secondly, Dilalio, what do you mean please, by 'unvented'? An annual service for c80 quid sounds very reasonable to me...

Secondly, Dilalio, what do you mean please, by 'unvented'? An annual service for c80 quid sounds very reasonable to me...

Just Google Unvented Cylinder for hot water.
It uses mains pressure water so no need for a dirty great cistern above. However, you do need to have a decent incoming mains supply. The upside is that you get mains pressure hot water which, with the right set up will give you powerful showers and a fast filling bath. But you need to look into the requirements. It's the way to go in my opinion, as well as many of the tradesmen on here... there are a few non-trade Armchair Engineers here, who dispute this and I'm sure he will be along shortly :ROFLMAO:

Can I ask for any educated opinions please? Does £800 sound to be in the right ball-park for 5-6 new radiators, flushing the system, replacing the ball valve in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back