Hiding boiler bits custom cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My carpenter has suggested a removal housing on the boiler. I do not wish have this as it needs to have easy access to all the bits, for example we once had pressure drop issues. By removal he means to cover it and unscrew it when access is required.

I am thinking to ask the carpenter to make a small boxed/hinged door for the area just below the boiler. The thing is would it look ugly, he wasn't to keen on it and thought a full housing would be less finicky.

I also don't want to block any more light than necessary as it is a fairly small kitchen and a big mdf 18mm cupboard around the whole thing i don't think would look smart.

ideas appreciated....
IMG_9636.JPEG IMG_9648.JPEG

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you either just buy a wall cupboard door? Or possibly a whole cupboard, and use parts of it to build a one sided unit with door. Both the cupboard door and side could use lift off hinges and magnets to hold them but come off for servicing.

Depends on what's a close size match.
You might be lucky and find a close match to the door somewhere like b&q if it's a common style.
Don't build a solid cupboard

I would have moved the boiler or not fitted a sink under it so a full height cupboard could have been used to hide the lot.Seems little by way of forward planning .

Sponsored Links
Some boiler manufacturers supplier bespoke covers for the pipework.

Otherwise, upvc flat board made into a shroud can look nice.

My boiler sits in a modified cupboard and looks fine
B69A589C-2367-4D92-B456-F5F6AD88B925.jpeg
B74DEAD0-9822-4AB8-B910-5C6113E721A3.jpeg

When I fitted my kitchen I bought an extra base unit door + panels to make up a larger than normal wall cupboard for my ugly boiler. I simply cut the base unit depth down, to the depth needed to hide the boiler, plus adding trim to match the rest of the wall units. I designed it with metal brackets, so it was just a matter of undoing a couple fixing screws, to lift the entire cupboard carcase off the wall, making boiler servicing access easy. There was only the 22mm flow and return out the top, so I made a slip on cover for those. 15mm gas supply comes up through the worktop, so I simply painted that and left it on show. The cupboard is completely open at the top and back, just two sides, a base and a door, reinforced at the back with metal corner brackets to stabilise it.

The other end of our kitchen, has a 15mm flow and return for utility room, plus hot and cold feeds coming down from the ceiling, almost to the floor. I used a full height (2m ?) kitchen unit cupboard to hide those, which just left a bit of pipework visible above the cupboard. I made a slip on cover for those too.

Since refitting the kitchen we are on our third boiler and each has been progressively smaller than the previous one. Our latest boiler leaves plenty of space in the cupboard for storing spare heating parts and a file with all the manuals in it, plus a magnetic filter :)

Our first boiler was rather noisy and the cupboard certainly helped reduce the noise. Our present Vaillant is completely inaudible, apart from when it is running flat out trying to meet a high demand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back