Hiding Community Fibre's internal gubbins!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to have Community Fibre broadband installed, and I need some help understanding the options for installing this inside our house.

Our modem (Virgin router) and router are under the stairs, with all the cables hidden in the wall cavities. I'm keen not to have exposed wires and devices visible inside the house.

Does anyone know if Community Fibre can install the access point for the fibre to enter the house anywhere on the exterior wall? If so, I can perhaps arrange to have a cable pull routed to our preferred location from our understairs cupboard, so we can install Community Fibre's modem there, which we will connect directly to our Asus router, thereby hiding all the internal cables and equipment.

Sponsored Links
No idea - why not ask the company?

Most installing companies allow 2 or 3 hours per installation when installing new kit to ensure the customer is happy. You know where you want the box put, don't forget it will need it's own 13amp socket to power the unit, so make sure that is in place ready.

No idea - why not ask the company?

Most installing companies allow 2 or 3 hours per installation when installing new kit to ensure the customer is happy. You know where you want the box put, don't forget it will need it's own 13amp socket to power the unit, so make sure that is in place ready.
They didn't know when I contacted Community Fibre, probably because they don't have people cogent with installation, answering the calls! I'd hoped to have a plan pre-install.

I put a bit of old wire in the loft to act as a draw cable and got them to install into the old airing cupboard. Technically they said they aren't allowed in lofts, but they did after having a look at the space.
They said they can clip it round where you like on the outside, and then similar inside, but most people prefer on an external wall close to the place it comes in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, John D v2.0. We'll look at having the exterior and interior boxes near where we can easily pull the wire under the stairs. I appreciate the feedback. Are the optic modem and router in the airing cupboard?

Technically they said they aren't allowed in lofts,
When we had cable fitted years ago, our modem and PC was at the back of the house. They wanted to run it on the surface above skirting boards, round the fire hearth and through internal walls to that point. I wanted them to go up the front, through the loft, back down the rear wall and through the wall but they wouldn’t go in the loft. To get it done, I went up in the loft and they passed the cable into me through the eaves, I pulled it through and passed it back to them through the rear eaves and they ran it down to the point that I wanted it. That must have been 20 years ago so nothing has changed.

I've seen some absolutely shocking installs.
Sky installer throw reel of coaxial cable over roof of house from one side to the other.The clipping of the cable was nonexistent, clip at top then bottom.
Cables ran in guttering around building.
These days they have no pride in their workmanship, as they are on a time per job.

The fibre guys who installed my connection were very accomodating and were willing to put the hole and box where I wanted. They did require that their metal detector/stud finder unit said the wall was clear to drill the wall, but found a suitable space. They said I could have drilled my own hole at my risk and they would then use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back