Hiding horrible coving colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20180104_090957.jpg
I have a cream coloured coving I've now applied 5 coates of White Matt to and still the cream colour showing through any tips to speed this up see pics of before and after

Attachments

• IMG_20180104_091008.jpg
    IMG_20180104_091008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Did you wash it down with sugar soap or anything else first. have you panted any other surfaces and not had coverage problems?
Smoke or nicotine on surfaces can bleed through if not well washed off first.
litl

Tbh i just fired in with the White haven't really had problems with other house surfaces should i just keep firing on more coates ?

Hit it with a stain blocker. Loads out there my favourite is Zinsser bullseye 123 or zinsser BIN, but have a look in your local DIY store plenty to choose from. Do two coats then hit it with your topcoat.
If it is nicotine it may bleed through the first coat but will be locked in and the second will block it.(y)

123 is water based easy clean up, BIN is solvent based, brushes need cleaning in methylated spirit, slightly harder to apply but better for things like resin and knots.

Sponsored Links
BIN is solvent based, brushes need cleaning in methylated spirit, slightly harder to apply but better for things like resin and knots.

Seriously, buy some household ammonia for cleaning the brushes after. Meths only dilutes the shellac, ammonia is alkaline and breaks it down completely. I have used it to clean Purdys that I had bagged up after working with BIN, with the intention of cleaning them shortly after, then forgotten all about them. A week later I can still drop them in to the ammonia and leave them for a while and they are as good as new after (just wash them with water). The only downside is that the ammonia stinks- I leave the open kettle undercover outside whilst it works overnight. In the morning, the ammonia has evaporated and I am left with a container that has water and "white dust" in the bottom. It is safe to pour down the sink and unlike the meths it leaves no residue/mess. It is also cheaper than meths.

I cannot stress how much better ammonia is than meths for cleaning up brushes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back