High resistance on ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was to asked to add a spur on a ring circuit.
I done a continuity test to make sure i had a ring the N-N was 0.46 CPC-CPC was 1.08
But my L-L was 2.4, i went round every socket looking for a loose conection
Tightenes up a few sockets and the reading came down to 1.9 i coudlnt find any junction boxes as the house has recently been renovated with hardwood flooring throughout so i cant get access under floor to check. Im not to happy leaving it as is but im at a bit of a dead end as to what i can do next. Any opinioms would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Disconnect one end of the ring. Take progressive readings on L and N at each accessory using a long wire. Note the points where the discrepancy occurs. Put the accessories in order of N measurement. You now know where the problem lies.

I am more than a little surprised by the OP's post but then perhaps not THAT surprised.
Problem solving used to be a standard part of the testing process at College and for Ring Final Circuits the end to end test was considered to be one of the simplest - both in terms of time and how to quickly resolve things when a problem arose.
Indeed, for test rigs we were encouraged (made) to calculate as many of the dead test continuity figures before we started actually testing.
The OP hasn't told us whether he is being paid to carry out this work, but in any case I have got to ask the question why is he messing about with electrical circuits if having identified the circuit has a problem he hasn't the where withal to work out a solution himself.

Sponsored Links
I should have gone into more depth on my post.

I dont own a wander lead so done it the long way by taking every socket off and testing between L-N and CPC-N i found the problem cable. It must be a joint box some where at fault. I was looking for any tips on trying to locate a joint box buried in a wall without ripping off the new wallpaper incase the box is buried in the wall so i can keep disruption it a minimum is possible. Also cutting up the new hardwood flooring is a no no. I dont want to split the circuit into two radials if i can help it.

I was looking for any tips on trying to locate a joint box buried in a wall without ripping off the new wallpaper incase the box is buried in the wall
X-Ray+Specs.jpg

:?:

So you now know which two sockets you have to link up to complete the ring?

Try and find an inconspicuous route above ground if that is possible.

If not, can you go under the floor in a cupboard or understairs area where a breach of the laminate would not be glaringly obvious?

Found it with a bit of luck and a loan of a voltage finder. Traced the cable up the wall til it took a weird route off course, followed it back from the other socket. Found jb buired half way up the wall

Looks like the kitchen was once part of the downstairs ring, that jb must have been where they have connected a leg between to take the kitchen out of it before adding a new ring, so there will no doubt be another buried somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back