High winds, really, don't seem very high to me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yellow wind warning with strong winds gusting up to 70mph, but when I lived on the Falklands that was normal, we often got 120mph winds, and many other parts of the world also have high winds 100mph plus.

In 1987 I remember being told on BBC news that BBC [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fish']Michael Fish had got it wrong[/url] but even then 86mph with 134mph gusts not really that high in the UK.

It seems like an episode from vicar of dibley with great storm of 1703 or 1987 and through history we have had storms which have breached sea defences and caused damage, if you call 62mph high winds in Anglesey which is rather open and exposed what will you call it when we do get high winds?

Sponsored Links
Windy?

16th Oct 87. Best mates 16th birthday. I lived in Gosport at the time. That was very windy there. Caravans tipped upside down and the walls in our square had blown over on to cars and flat roofs ripped off. I was just a teen at the time. Letting carrier bags go at HMS Sultans fence and them exploding and shooting hundred feet into the air. It was wicked.

B1E1538E-B0BE-4C9D-B9ED-FA2120F2DAAD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
where is it windy? clam with blue skies down here.

Gusts up to about 50kph here. Which is a bit too windy to work, say on a roof, but not too bad at ground level.

Relative though isn't it. The Falklands have nailing tin sheets down to an art, just as the Canadians go about their daily business after a 2 metre snow dump. Countries adapt, build and provision for a set of norms. Clearly, the Met Office thinks 80mph winds aren't the norm in UK (though I suspect they are in the Scottish islands).

Sponsored Links
Back