High winds, really, don't seem very high to me?

Sponsored Links
Its all risk aversion. If the TV weatherman failed to suggest an area was going to experience 'high winds', some clown would then complain that they weren't warned that their dodgy fence/tree/chimney could blow down.

Letting carrier bags go at HMS Sultans fence and them exploding and shooting hundred feet into the air. It was wicked.

That's a blast from the past. When I was at school I was in the cadet force and spent a week in the summer hols at Sultan in 1982. It's where they train artificers, and was a very good introduction to marine engineering. Also visited the submarine base HMS Dolphin.

Sponsored Links
That's a blast from the past. When I was at school I was in the cadet force and spent a week in the summer hols at Sultan in 1982. It's where they train artificers, and was a very good introduction to marine engineering. Also visited the submarine base HMS Dolphin.

Swing that lamp..... :LOL::LOL:

if you see HMS Sultan going to sea, you should worry.

When sailors tell their tall tales of life at sea, its 'swinging the lamp'.

Your mention of HMS Sultan, artificers, marine engineering and HMS Dolphin suggests you may have a tale or two to tell. :sneaky:
When I worked in the shipyard, which was full of ex RN & MN artificers, when any one started telling salty tales a wag would climb on a bench and swing the fluorescent fitting

if you see HMS Sultan going to sea, you should worry.
That would be what you could call a 'high tide'. I also remember kicking fog on the way to school, it was like a foot or two on the ground like a dry ice affect, with with sopping wet socks and sandals by the time you got to school.

Did anyone ever do the boiler suit jump in the pool at Collingwood? Not as half bad compared to a 'stretcher run'

It was weapons eng./Electronics in Colly if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
That would be what you could call a 'high tide'. I also remember kicking fog on the way to school, it was like a foot or two on the ground like a dry ice affect, with with sopping wet socks and sandals by the time you got to school.

Did anyone ever do the boiler suit jump in the pool at Collingwood? Not as half bad compared to a 'stretcher run'

It was weapons eng./Electronics in Colly if anyone is interested.

I spent many years at HMS Collingwood during my career sweating over various engineering and leadership courses as I climbed the promotion ladder.
Its the largest military training establishment in Europe with a mahoosive parade ground to match. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back