high ze reading

Sponsored Links
at the consummer unit, all parallel paths removed ect, and tried two different test kits

Loose connections?

Where have you connected your leads?
Have you tried connecting the earth lead directly to the incoming sheath?
What is the reading with both N & E connected to Neutral?

Edited - I was a bit slow

Sponsored Links
I have had this problem where the earth connection has cracked around the whole sheath where it was plumbed on. It's a DNO job though. As suggested, stick your earth probe direct on the sheath and examine the sheath for the problem.

using a 3 lead test kit if i put one probe on the line and the other 2 probes on the neutral i get 0.14 ohms

If you do have a poor Ze on a TNS system contact the DNO.

Get them to fix it. Make sure you test the Ze afterwards as DNOs are not particularly reliable.

If they cannot fix it immediately they may/should/might fit a temporary earth rod.

Just seen the location. We have a full procedure to deal with this situation.
If you ring in the morning you will get a visit tomorrow.

The Fault Technician will apply a temporary solution and it will be followed up with a full solution.

Sparkwright any that aren't are in breech of ESCQR

Well you would, it's TN-S, not TN-C-S (PME). What was that hoping to acheive?

It shows it's definitely a faulty earth- not a loose L or N. If the reading with earth lead on the sheath is ok then it's just the main earth connections. Informative at least.

thanks all, i will contact dno in the morning, dose any of you guys have the number?

The property will. no doubt, end up with a new earth connection and a new cut-out. If the fault is not in the cut-out region we will still do what is required to rectify the fault, this does NOT include fitting an earth rod.

Temporary measures will include reducing the main fuse size and/or fitting a temporary RCD if there is not one there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back