My ze high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I just checked my Ze and I'm getting 0.12 ohm for TN-S and i believe should be within 0.08 please advise.

Sponsored Links
Typical maximum values are 0.8 ohms for TN-S, 0.35 ohms for TN-C-S.

0.12 is entirely normal and expected.

I thought 0.12 ohm is greater than the accepted allowance 0.8 !!

Sponsored Links
Does it make it easier if you add the trailing Zero back on and say the maximum figrue allowed is 0.80 ?

0.8 is 80% of 1

0.12 is 12% of 1

The first number after the decimal point, is what counts.

0.199999999999999 would almost be 0.2

I can't believe Im responding to a maths question though, as I'll probably get it wrong :)

I can't believe Im responding to a maths question though, as I'll probably get it wrong :)
Don't panic - you didn't (get it wrong) :)

Maths is a strange subject, in that a good few people seem to have problems in understanding concepts which others regard as "simple, basic and 'obvious' ". If I understand the OP's problem correctly, it's not all that uncommon, and tends to arise in those who would read/pronounce 0.12 and 0.8 as "nought point twelve" and "nought point 8" respectively.

As someone said early on, things usually become clearer to some people if one describes both numbers in terms of the same number of decimal places - they would then become 0.12 and 0.80, which might be verbalised as "nought point twelve" and "nought point eighty" - which would make the relative sizes more obvious.

Kind Regards, John

Yes I've heard of storey of an "electrician" fixing a problem with an electric garage opener. His diagnosis was the motor wasn't powerful enough to lift the door, it being a 1/2 HP motor, so he changed it for a 1/4 HP motor as 4 is bigger than 2. Probably an urban myth, but one you'd like to believe is true.

Speaking of how people struggle with decimal points, I have the following to offer. In an underground tram station in Portland OR, I came across a celebration of science that Portland had paid millions to have carved into marble. This particular carving is to demonstrate mathematics...
20170507_124408.jpg

It hit me within a few seconds. I'll leave it to the reader to deduce how the mistake arose.

and tends to arise in those who would read/pronounce 0.12 and 0.8 as "nought point twelve" and "nought point 8" respectively.
The solution is therefore, as with many things, to do it properly.

It is "nought point one, two".

Yes I've heard of storey of an "electrician" fixing a problem with an electric garage opener. His diagnosis was the motor wasn't powerful enough to lift the door, it being a 1/2 HP motor, so he changed it for a 1/4 HP motor as 4 is bigger than 2. Probably an urban myth, but one you'd like to believe is true.
Quite probably not a myth.

Over the years/decades, I have often been involved in trying to communicate mathematical information to 'non-mathematical' audiences - and I've found that things such as you mention, which is similar to believing that "nought point twelve" is greater than "nought point eight", seem to be a fair bit more common than I would have expected.

'People who should know better' can be instrumental in setting the scene for such misunderstandings, since it's far from unknown for people such as newsreaders and TV presenters to use the "nought point twelve" form of terminology!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back