high ze reading

im sure he will Ze at the start everytime now. he was a litle puzzled lol. goes to show that the apprenticeships arent long enough these days and qualifications will never replace experience :)

He should have done an EICR on the installation before changing the board. Then the Ze would have shown up (like on the first test) and he could have got it sorted before it got critical.

Now he'll have to come back again and do all those live tests, otherwise he won't be able to give you an Installation Certificate!

Sponsored Links
at the time there wasnt anything. i have since put a 10mm earth to gas meter from board and changed the earth from supply to board to 16mm. i dont have any test equipment so cant check if its made any difference

im pretty green when it comes to electrics and just understand the basics.
there needs to be an installation cert!!!! i normally use a napit guy but hes sunning himself somewhere foreign so got a younger lad to do it but still nic eic qualified. im getting worried now

If he's nic, when he made the Ze test, why did he not think of calling DNO or informing client of this?
I tend to Ze right from the start, saves any headaches later!

unoccupied house. he just shut it off. call back monday. client is wanting to move in asap so im trying to hasten the process :)

Sponsored Links
Call your DNO, (District Network Operator)
Distribution Network Operator...
and then this directly afterwards http://www2.nationalgrid.com/uk/Our-company/electricity/Distribution-Network-Operator-Companies/
So I will forgive my typo, as I believe the OP understood the message and the relevant information was made accessible, even if you wish to pick fault!
But that's what you do, if that is all you can offer to the post, why bother?

if it's anything like round here, DNO won't take responsibility for an earth clamp on the supply cable..... so TT it is. As you're got 17th board, all circuits should be RCD protected, so not too much of a headache. Apart from where to site the rod and how to get a cable to it!

When I go to quote for a job I always take a quick loop test in a socket as near to the board as possible - flags up this problem from the start.

Good luck

I had a Ze of 153Ω on a PILC fed TN-S today.

Northern power grid attended and told me TN-S is not available in the area, so either treat as TT, or pay £120 for a PME connection :rolleyes:

I had a Ze of 153Ω on a PILC fed TN-S today. Northern power grid attended and told me TN-S is not available in the area ....
Interesting - so does that mean they are denying that they provided the present TN-S earth?
... so either treat as TT, or pay £120 for a PME connection :rolleyes:
What's the £120 for - changing the head?

Given the implication that the supply is "PMEd", I might suggest another approach (which would be fine until someone inspected the installation!) - but not in a public forum :)

Kind Regards, John

I had a Ze of 153Ω on a PILC fed TN-S today. Northern power grid attended and told me TN-S is not available in the area ....
Interesting - so does that mean they are denying that they provided the present TN-S earth?

Seems like it! He said there are huge parts of the north of central Leeds where the network is not bonded, and so can not be used to supply an earth to consumers.

He said they used to PME on calls like this, but they are not allowed any more, as if too many people get PME connections, then they'll have to sink more rods on the network!!

... so either treat as TT, or pay £120 for a PME connection :rolleyes:
What's the £120 for - changing the head?

Given the implication that the supply is "PMEd", I might suggest another approach (which would be fine until someone inspected the installation!) - but not in a public forum :)

Kind Regards, John

Naughty...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back