high ze reading

Rob:

Did it have a pipe clamp on it or a properly sweated joint onto the lead?

Sponsored Links
It has two BS951 clamps on. One on the lead, and one on the steel with a 16.0mm² earth from each into a single pole henley block.

It looked as though it's been like that for a while.

So the chances are it was not a DIY hash-up then.

They really ought to BTB and take responsibility for it.

Definately not a DIY lash up, but I suppose it could have been done by a previous sparks. The CU looked about 15 or so years old, so maybe at the same time as this, but without actually testing that the earth was any good.

I know when I started out in this industry, testing was for fault finding!!

Sponsored Links
Definately not a DIY lash up, but I suppose it could have been done by a previous sparks. The CU looked about 15 or so years old, so maybe at the same time as this, but without actually testing that the earth was any good.!
... or maybe they did test, and found that it was OK at the time - a lot can happen/change in 15 years!

Kind Regards, John

From the way Mr DNO was talking, the network has never been earthed, rather than a fault on it. It might be an earth supplied from the water or gas before they were changed for plastic pipes job.

From the way Mr DNO was talking, the network has never been earthed, rather than a fault on it.
Interesting. I would have thought that if it were a metal-sheathed cable, even a DNO would feel obliged to earth that sheath. From what you say, I guess not!
It might be an earth supplied from the water or gas before they were changed for plastic pipes job.
I guess that's a possibility. How old is the property, and what sort of vintage is the cutout?

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. I would have thought that if it were a metal-sheathed cable, even a DNO would feel obliged to earth that sheath. From what you say, I guess not!
I did tell you that eons ago.

I did tell you that eons ago.
You must have a much better memory than I do! Mind you, an eon is an awfully long time to expect anyone to remember something (and even I am not quite that old) :)

Kind Regards, John.

From the way Mr DNO was talking, the network has never been earthed, rather than a fault on it.
It might be an earth supplied from the water or gas before they were changed for plastic pipes job.
I guess that's a possibility. How old is the property, and what sort of vintage is the cutout?

Kind Regards, John

Property is approx 1920s build, and cutout is a henley series 5 in black, so maybe 15 or so years old. Hmmm about the same age as them earth clamps...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back