Hikvision fan noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a loft conversion and during that time we fitted a HikVision CCTV system.

The DVR is under one of the draws so as noise proofed as possible but can still hear it at night when there are no other noises.

Has anyone fitted a quiet or brushless fan to the DVR?

Sponsored Links
They are awful for noise, a friend of mine who nstalls then as his business and it doesn't seem to bother him or his clients, but when I'm round his house it proper grates on me, it's almost like the only noise I hear in his house lol.

I was round there helping with plumbing once draining the old vented system, and it sounded like the loft tank was still filling it panicked me for a second until I realized what it was.

He wants to install it round my house, but I'm not sure about the noise so keep making excuses.

Keep us posted if you find anything to quiten it down

4 way units are fan-less I think all k1 (single harddrive) units are fan-less

Had the lid off it today and just be taking the lid off the noise went down 12 DB.

The noise is not just the fan but the air being forced through the small holes in the case/lid.

I have ordered a silent fan to see how much difference it makes.

Does anything exist that would enable me to move the fan back away from the case? Maybe ducting for a pc and if that would make a difference.

Only other option would be to cut out the 'holes' and make so its one big hole that the fan vents through but thats a last resort as the unit is under warranty still lol

Attachments

• Fan2.jpg
    Fan2.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 1,208
  • Fan1.jpg
    Fan1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 740
  • Fan3.jpg
    Fan3.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 560
Sponsored Links
If the total size of the small holes in the case/lid is smaller than fan hole size then fan will be noisy as under strain.
Also all those small holes will be noisy themselves (effectual whistling) as they increase the moving air contact with the metal.
Would be tempted to make a big hole (or perhaps increase number of small holes).
SFK

I left the top lid off altogether, disconnected the internal fan and mounted a large computer case fan facing an inch or so directly over the PC board. Almost silent and far more efficient cooling.
A thermostat switches the fan off below 10C as the cooling isn't needed in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back