Hillbilly hi light golf trolly

Sponsored Links
Yes, but how will you then stop the trolley? At least you'll get exercise chasing after it :LOL:.

I thought the potentiometer would act like a reostat, the trouble I am having is that it stops and maybe after a hole it would start again, I have changed the potentiometer renewed the motor brushes to no avail , I put the trolly on blocks connected the battery direct to the motor and it runs for ages, connect up as normal it runs for about a minute and stops, if I turn the potentiometer as if you where turning it off and back on again it runs again for about a minute and stops again, I've checked the battery after a 18hole round and it reads 10.7 volts on the multimeter so I am trying to find out if it could be the module at fault

Last edited:
I thought the potentiometer would act like a rheostat
If you mean the resistance of the pot directly controls the flow of current through the motor, then no. I'm not familiar your particular control module, but in one I repaired (and in virtually all, I believe) the pot passes only a tiny current and controls the duty cycle of a pulse-width-modulated (PWM) signal which drives a power transistor (MOSFET) to vary the average voltage applied to the motor.
It is possible that something in your module overheats in time and causes the module to shut down to protect itself, or perhaps capacitor leakage is causing a delayed shut-down. Do the elctronics show any sign of any sign of scorching, bulging capacitors, poor solder joints?
10.7V is worryingly low for a nominally 12V sealed-lead-acid battery (if that's what you have). Are you sure the charger is fully effective?

Sponsored Links
I checked the voltage with a multimeter and it reads 13.4, I also checked the reading from the module to the motor while turning the potentiometer up and down any get a reading of 12.6 .As I said it runs for a couple of minutes then stops, turn the potentiometer back and on again and it runs again for a couple of minutes and stop, connect battery direct to motor and it keeps running, can't see any burn marks or bubbles on the module Taggs why I was hoping to bypass it to see if it was at fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back