Hinge holes in kitchen cupboard doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to modify a pair of kitchen doors because I am fitting a full height integrated fridge in place of stacked integrated fridge & freezer. So I need to create a few 35mm dia 12mm deep holes.

Any tips on doing this? I have a circular hole tool (the type with a central drill bit and a set of removable concentric saw blades around it), but is there a better tool available?

Sponsored Links
I think you need a router bit, not a hole drill.
As you need to take a core out, a hole saw will need to penetrate through the door.

There is an actual bit for this.

Not a router tool but a drill bit. Look harder, they are available. My mate does kitchens and has confirmed this for me before.

He kept saying 'Don't bother, the lads have got a bit for that!' but out of context, it's perhaps moot!

Sponsored Links
You can buy a bit for the router so that the hole can be plunge cut with the router giving a hole that is square to the surface and you can also set a depth stop, thats what I use but if its just a one off job then a hinge bit in a cordless drill will do fine , just take it easy so you don't drill too deep.

Jason

fostner bits do a nice job http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=83345&ts=13530

support the surface behind mark the fostner bit at 2mm shallower than you want then check when you have the hole exact depth mark with a pencil 1mm deeper than you need and stop 1mm short if you go up to the line you may wear it off and go to deep you only have about 5 or 6mm to spare on 18mm and 2 or 3mm on 15mm

I'm with jasonb if, like me you haven't got a router or a cabinet full of bits
p1173552_l.jpg

Thanks all. I went to B&Q and got me a hinge bit like that. 17 quid - maybe I need to get into the habit of using screwfix!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back