hinge recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Made up a frameless box .... sides are 9mm plywood ..... need to fit hinges ... does not have to be super posh ... never been a fan of piano hinges (but could use one I suppose.
Lid is not just a lay-on piece of ply, but has a 30mm depth edge of 9mm plywood edge as well

Would apply a restictor to limit opeining to 90 degress... so does not have to fold back to 180 degrees.

With only 9mm of wood thickness any suggestion for hinge type ...... if necessary I could add another 9mm strip at the rear just so hinges have something thicker to screw into ... suggestions?

Sponsored Links
as per OP ... want to avoid piano hinge, just don't see it holding with only 9mm scews

Sponsored Links
Rather than fixing the hinge(s) onto the edges of the 9mms ply why not fix to the outside face and use nuts n bolts to secure?

I recently made a frameless box with 9mm ply.

I didn't want to use a piano hinge.

I used a piano hinge.

It works really well.

Searched on-line, only supplier seemed to be B&Q who list a 300mm piano hinge .... drove there, no stock.
Screwfix, ToolStation etc only ha d bulk packs.
So ended up with 25mm but hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back