Hinge repair plates for screw holes wider than 48mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have an integrated washing machine with hinges that attach to the front left of it and then to the door. After multiple attempts to repair the hinge holes with wood fillers I have given up and want to use hinge repair plates for extra reinforcement.

However, I measured the screw holes for the hinge on the door side to be 52mm apart which is greater than the standard 38mm/45mm/48mm sizes out there for these repair plates. I'm still considering buying one of these plates and drilling my own screw holes into it to fit the bigger size but before I do that I wanted to get some advise on any products out there that can do the job as good or better than my current plan. I have not been able to find any repair plates that accommodate sizes greater than 48mm

I have added some picture for extra clarity. Thanks!
16737867413543366389050921478703.jpg
1673786787658404769588102128024.jpg
16737868252093454431333515429956.jpg
16737870265407002822168438213822.jpg

Sponsored Links
Based on advice from other people here... I drill the old screw holes out and plug/glue them with wooden dowels. When the glue has dried, I use a Japanese flush cut saw to remove the excess dowel. If used properly the saw will not scratch the surrounding part of the door.

Last edited:
I suspect that you have used regular filler. It may be prudent to remove the (relatively) soft filler and glue in bits of timber to fill the cup holes
or use white 2 pack filler and re-drill the 35mm cup holes.

Hi. So I used filler that requires adhesive addition (so not premixed). I want to use hinge repair plates now. For example:
Amazon - Hinge repair plates

Only problem is I can't find any with screw holes that are 52mm apart. Longest is 48mm. Anyone know a product or do I drill screw holes into the metal plate at the distance I need.

Sponsored Links
Why not fit two plates to each area. The bottom hole of one plate does the top and top hole of the other does the bottom. You can then space them exactly where you want them.

1000004712.png

Can you flip the door, it might have a plain flat front. Or re drill the holes in the washing machine higher or lower. The state of general destruction around the existing lower hinge hole suggests it wont hold new screws for long.

Blup

Cigarette filter push in a hole.drip super glue on.
Give it half hour and sharpe chisel to remove flush. Its hard enough to drill and screw.

As for filling larger areas you have. Masking tape around to Keep filler away.
2 pack resin filler like Ronseal 2 pack wood filler.
Also the masking tape will protect surface when sanding.

As you are using the metal plate to secure the self tapping screws to not the woodwork behind it why not just drill a small pilot hole through the hinge holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back