hinge screw hole and snapped drill bit...Any ideas?

M

m_ginty

Not sure if this is the best forum or whether my question should be in woodwork but here goes anyway...
I am hanging a new door and was drilling holes for the hinge screws and I've managed to snap a drill bit....
The bit isn't sticking out at all - in fact it's about .5 cm in.
How do I sort this mess out?!
thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try a pair of long nose pliers on it and twist it out in reverse or maybe get a nail punch and , if there is room , knock it in deeper and out of the way.

I was thinking about knocking it further in -not sure how easy it will be - it's a hardwood external door.
Got some long nose pliers at work so will try them too.
thanks for the tips.

i assume your talking brass hinges and brass screws

dependant on wood [balsa is a hard wood :LOL: ]assuming youve using brass 8s
with brass hindges
hold in place with the other screws try inserting a steel screw[twin type ]and see how it goes it may just work in at an angle past the screw and sit in a reasonable position then replace with brass
if not youll probably have to rely on the other three screws!!!

it would help if the drill bit was pushed in a bit first as this would help the angle the screw goes in at

Sponsored Links
Drill around it with small drill to make it easy to remove with pliers. Drill the mess out with a good sharp 10mm bit and the plug the hole with a hardwood dowel. Cut flush and sand. It wont be seen as it's behind the hinge. ;)

if you do use a dowel as nstreat suggests
drill at a slight angle so even if the glue fails on dowel you will still get the screw in and out
of course insert screw at right angles as normal

nar...cut the head off a screw and glue it over the hole....oops shouldnt have given that one away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back