Snapped screw - what to do.

S

SaladFingers

Heyeeeelp. Man in distress.

Hanging a door and the hinges have come with ****e screws, a head has snapped off. So the thread is still in the side of the door. Before I attempt to drill it out or punch it in, is there someone here who can advise on what I ought to do apart from panic?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is any of the head poking out, or is it all in the door?

You could try to unscrew it using pliers.

Buy a screw extractor set, approx £3.50 set of five, or drill it out and plug hole.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
From my own experience when this has happened, I've always ended up drilling it out. I was under the impression the screw extractors were only any use where the head of the screw was still attached but worn out?

Any screws that come free with stuff (or even worse free wall plugs!) immediately get binned and upgraded here. :S

Russ

From my own experience when this has happened, I've always ended up drilling it out. I was under the impression the screw extractors were only any use where the head of the screw was still attached but worn out?

Any screws that come free with stuff (or even worse free wall plugs!) immediately get binned and upgraded here. :S

Russ

I had a go at drilling out, but I couldn't get on the left behind shaft, the drill would slip off.

Blimey - would never have thought of using a plug cutter to get a screw out before! It'd do the job alright, but they cut pretty chunky holes - probably a cm across? Not sure how you'd fill that hole again so that it'd be any use helping to hold up a door.

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back