tapcons!! what am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I spent last weekend attempting to screw and glue 9mm ply to a concrete floor using concrete screws (tapcons). I used the concrete drill bit supplied with the box of 100 tapcons I bought for the job (5/32 bit), then when it was knackered a 4mm bit. for some reason the holes were clearly not big enough - I broke a few phillips drive bits, and only about one scew in ten would go in without snapping off - a very frustrating experience . .
I wondered if anyone had any experience of using tapcons and could suggest what I might be doing wrong . . .

thanks!

Sponsored Links
The holes you have drilled are to small, no wonder you have problems.

I think you will need a 3/16" drill or 4.8 m/m drill, make sure you drill over depth, as the holes quickly fill up with concrete as you screw in...

but the box clearly states (and comes with) a 5/32 drill bit . . . in saying that you must be right, unfortunitly I don't seem to be able to find imperial concrete drill bits for sale locally . . . so my next bit up will be a 5 mm - I did try witha 5mm masonary bit and the hole was too big but I suspect a masonary bit makes a slightly bigger hole than a concrete bit . . . .
anyway, thansk for your response - I have been in a dilemma over whether to hire a catridge hammer (ramset type thing) to finsih the job, but am not sure if the nails will drive in far enough (as tiling over ply with rubber i can't have anything proud of the ply)

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back