hints on pulling through 2.5 T+E

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the long post
As some will remember had a new CU fitted late last year and intend consolidating the other old CUs into it this year. All electrical work has and will be done by NICEIC electrician, so no Part P worries for anyone.

We have the kitchen ring final and another ring final covering part of the ground floor, but the third ring covering the rest of the ground floor is still on the old CU.

This 3rd ring is VIR :eek: stop shaking your heads and sucking your teeth at the back :) it's this I want to replace.

Now the problem is that we have a mixture of concrete floors, carpeted floorboards and carpetted parquet floor on floor boards. End result access misery. Electrician doesnt want to spend ages curing the access problems so is suggesting either losing the difficult sockets or trunking. The latter is NEVER going to happen in our living room and the former is not attractive

However, electrician is happy for me to spend my time running cables for him to connect up and test later

For most of the sockets I have reasonable access, but to three I have access only via cable route in wall and under the floorboards on the other side of the living room from adjacent room. I am looking for any ideas on how to get the new T+E to the sockets.

My initial thought is to join the end of new cable to VIR where accessable in adjacent room, then pull VIR out of socket hopefully dragging new cable through. However this is not ideal or even possible with all sockets. Any ideas guys?

I want to do this properly , but I am tempted to leave well alone as the VIR passed an insulation check so is in reasonable condition. Obviously that would mean leaving teh old CU as well, but.....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No conduit under floorboards, sockets surface mounted on the skirting board

Don't rely on being able to pull the old cable out with the new attached to it as a way to avoid your unattractive end result....

It's hard to tell without seeing it .Ask your electrician how he would do it,I would def try and get rid of all old VIR.

I had thought about buying a fish tape. I have also considered using our new washing line instead. It's steel cored so flexible and strong enough and a little more ridgid than fish tape so less likely to get tangled or caught under floorboards.

Just wondered if there were any other tricks of the trade.

sparkieno1 - our electrician thinks it will be a pig to do and take ages so isn't interested in doing it, and says if he does it it will be prohibitively expensive as I will be paying a sparky for doing labour work not electrical work. He agrees it would be better without trunking and to keep sockets, which is why he is suggesting I do it as my time is "free".

Don't want to change electricians as he did a good job with the CU and it has been difficult enough to get one at all.

Pull that through first with the VIR then use the nylon tape to pull the new cable thru.
All my old VIR was "clipped" to the joists with short lengths of cable offcuts nailed through top and bottom - wouldn't budge an inch... :mad:

And in the walls it was in that small oval steel conduit with a slit in - it's barely bigger all round than the cable, and where it had been squashed and bent the cables wouldn't pull through... :evil:

well if I can't pull through or find another method that doesn't involve lifting floor, then I'll have to lose the sockets. It's a 1920's house and the living room has solid boards and real parquet flooring properly stuck down, then overlayed with underlay and carpet. Just not practical to lift without major cost and effort.

the living room has solid boards and real parquet flooring properly stuck down, then overlayed with underlay and carpet.
What a waste of parquet.

Can you drop down the walls from the 1st floor void?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back