hip roof on an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, roughly how long should a new hip roof on an extension take?, measurments are 2.4m x 7m x 2m high, just the trusses, stripped the tiles off the old house and got all the wood up,does not include felting and re-tile, does 2 weeks work and £2000 sound abit steep as that's whats been quoted

Sponsored Links
Hi. Its not clear, is it a cut hip roof? or have you ordered trusses designed to fit?

Two men, two days. Maybe three if it includes soffits and gutters

Hi. Its not clear, is it a cut hip roof? or have you ordered trusses designed to fit?

theyv'e got to make it all up on site, dad and young lad, i would of said about a weeks work maximum, all they are doing is the trusses , ive got to go back and tile it and soffit,fascia and gutter it!, given the measurments and 2 chippies doing if, would you say 3 days max and about £1000-£1200 max in labour costs?

Sponsored Links
This seems to be a cut rafter roof, not trusses.

Price and time have little in common unless you are paying daywork

If someone gives you a price for the job, then its of no concern to you whether they take 2 days or two weeks.

If you are paying daywork, then this would be a weeks work for two. Of you are pay top daywork rates, then it will be a bit less than a week

If the guys are on a price, then they will want to complete it faster. Or you may want it dome quicker, in which case you pay a premium.

But don't expect to pay a low price and get it done quickly - you can't have both.

Whether the price is the market rate or not, well, you wont know unless you get more quotes to compare it

This seems to be a cut rafter roof, not trusses.

Price and time have little in common unless you are paying daywork

If someone gives you a price for the job, then its of no concern to you whether they take 2 days or two weeks.

If you are paying daywork, then this would be a weeks work for two. Of you are pay top daywork rates, then it will be a bit less than a week

If the guys are on a price, then they will want to complete it faster. Or you may want it dome quicker, in which case you pay a premium.

But don't expect to pay a low price and get it done quickly - you can't have both.

Whether the price is the market rate or not, well, you wont know unless you get more quotes to compare it

i'm not paying for them, the client is, she wondered if that was about right as thats the only quote she got (dumb ass!!),got me own chippie but was booked up so could'nt use. to me it sounds very steep but if thats whats been agreed then good on em, remind me not to use them if im paying!!!, should of added a couple of grand onto the brickwork price, she got 3 quotes for that and obviously we were the cheapest!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back