hipped roof issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We are planning a rear 4m hipped roof on our 1940's semi. We have plans drawn up and everything seemed fine. Then asked a structural engineer to do the steels for the rear as we are taking out the full rear wall.

However he came back and said we would need a steel right across the middle of the new ex from the steel across the back to the new rear wall. This would be at the height of the wall not at the top of the hip and would look naff.

My question is do I need it.

I've had lots of people say its not needed as long as there is enough support on the roof. My wife works for a building company and they all agree it is not needed.

Hope this makes sense if not I can try to explain more.

Any views welcome.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Presumably you are having an open (vaulted) roof?

Your SE is concerned about the possibility of roof spread in the absence of ceiling joists, which tie the rafters together.
This can be a particular problem if the roof has a relatively low pitch.
It is easy for other people to give their opinions, but only your SE is liable if the roof goes south.
Can you not have a simple gable roof, whereby the rafters can be supported off a ridge beam, preventing roof spread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back