Hire Floor Hygrometer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to hire a Floor Hygrometer (I'm in the surrey area)? I've spent a good half hour searching google and the cheapest units to purchase I can find are at about £100 - £140. seems a lot to spend for what will hopefully be only a few measurements.

Additionally, when using one, what is supposed to be done to prepare the floor surface? I've seen reference to BS8203:2001+A1:200 but i'm definitely not buying that at £200. Do i need to abrade back the bitumen under my existing PVC tile / wood floor?

Sponsored Links
Flat was built in '68-69, and i'm on the ground floor. I'll take some pics of the floor when i get a moment.

Plan is to Liquid DPM (if needed); Level off floor as there's a height step between the bedrooms and the hall, lay insulation, a sub floor and then flooring (carpet / engineered wood).

From what i've read given the age of the flat it should have a DPM in the concrete slab; and there's lots of advice to check the humidity before laying a new floor - thus the need for a hygrometer

What height is your concrete to the outside. Higher or lower ?

At that age I’d suggest best to Dpm anyway. Even if you have one at that age it would of broke down.

A RH test could be a waste of time as of the age of the building. In the summer you could get low reading and in winter a high one.

I’d go with a Dpm sandwich. Ardex NA, DPM1c and NA again.

Sponsored Links
The top surface of the screed floor is well above the ground level outside and about 3" above the visible DPM in the outer skin of brickwork.

Having looked at the price of Ardex it looks like i could apply 1 layer DPM1c for the same price as buying a hygrometer so was starting to think that it made sense price wise to do it anyway. wouldn't have thought of doing it as a DPM sandwich. i might give their tech line a call on monday and see what they recommend.

Thanks for the suggestion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back