hire help! i broke a bobcat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hired a bobcat 1.2 tonne and it sprung a leak im pretty sure its from the bolt in the pic as that's loose and the other ain't. all i really want to know is that gonna be costly? i know it says that i have top pay fair engouh but i cant afford the days they wont be able to hire it as i will have to cover them its also a new one. help!! View media item 47303

Sponsored Links
I can't see any leak coming from there.....have you checked the hydraulic hoses going to the rams?
Admit to no improper useage of the machine - they are meant to take anything the user can give it.
John :)

thanks burner, i will tell the truth as its left where it was in case i caused more damage. all i was doing was scooping the mud up pulling backwards towards the bob and moving the bucket up so i could scoop and move it.

That sounds exactly what a bob's supposed to do mate......they are usually laden with safety / overload devices that protect the machine so I'd not be pleading guilty to that one....
I reckon there's a hydraulic coupling come loose if its a new machine - but hydraulic pipes do split on older kit.

Sponsored Links
im not but do i admit that this was the final bit of the day and that all i was trying to do was build a ramp for them to get it out of garden and its on a camera as a video? i know its sad but ill never use one again.

Seriously no worries there mate - the only wee bit of hydraulic oil is from a ram seal and its dripping down onto the machine chassis.
All the other parts are pins which allow the attachments to swivel - they are bolted to prevent the pins from shifting. They may have grease nipples to keep them sweet as the machine clocks up the hours.
You have not damaged this machine......but normally the ram seals don't leak at all. Thats not down to you!
Thanks for the great pic - helps a lot.

thanks mate till i speak to them tomo for collection as i was only having it for 24 hours couldn't afford more days sadly im just worried about that with my luck i will be out hundreds or thousand or 2. should i admit when i phone them to collect its leaking or just get them to collect it and then tell them?

I'd be following the sort of line where I'd say -'fab machine that - its done a fine job......I've noticed a slight weep of oil but I guess they all do that...'
or, wipe things over and say nowt.
I'd only tell the collecting driver anyway.
I can't say why you should be liable for any machine breakdown or fault, when you didn't cause it!

Ok. well no need for a wipe down its ****ing down all night ill just have to bluff it and pray. the guy knew what it was for so lifting soil should of been easy for it. it isn't even isn't stretched out. cheers mate ill call then soon.

We have a phrase up here thats 'if in doubt, say nowt'......
Admit to nothing, but lets know the outcome ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back