Hiring a router to cut tongue and groove

R

richard7761

Hi. Was wondering about hiring a router to cut tongue and groove to make some flooring. I think it would take a table router. So, might not be practical.

Sponsored Links
We have often ripped or cross cut boards, and routed in new tongues or grooves. This is done on site, often on the floor or on Stanley Saw Horses. We would use a heavy 1/2" router eg. a DW622K.

If you have no experience with a router then ignore the above - its dangerous.

Why are you keen to make your own T&G flooring?

I'm put-out because I cannnot get 20mm x 90mm (94mm) T&G. I could make my own with 20mm x 95mm wood. But really. I should forget about trying to lay down 90mm T&G and just make do with what I can get.

8 x 90mm = 270mm. That's the same as 5 x 144mm. I can get 144mm T&G. So, I should not bother with trying to make my own flooring. :)

If possible, why not take a piece of the in place T&G to a proper timber yard/suppliers, and allow them to suggest a match - DIY'ers can confuse measurements. eg. most in-place T&G is imperial in measurement, using metric only confuses.

Sponsored Links
I'm put-out because I cannnot get 20mm x 90mm (94mm) T&G. I could make my own with 20mm x 95mm wood. But really. I should forget about trying to lay down 90mm T&G and just make do with what I can get.

8 x 90mm = 270mm. That's the same as 5 x 144mm. I can get 144mm T&G. So, I should not bother with trying to make my own flooring. :)

144 will be the size with the tongue you need to remove the 5-6mm for the tongue to get the coverage at 138/9mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back