reclaimed Junckers sports flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought some reclaimed Junckers beech flooring, cracking stuff, 129mm wide boards x 22mm thick, T+G all four sides. I need to re-cut some of the T+Gs on the ends as the guy I bought the floor off had to cut some of the longer boards for transport. Would appreciate advice on the simplest way to do this - do I have to get a router table, or is there some way of making a jig and doing the job with a hand-router? Bear in mind that I only need to make short cuts across the boards - the T+Gs on the long sides are all intact. It's been suggested to me that I could just re-cut the ends perfectly square and use a biscuit jointer?

If it has to be a router, what sort of bits have people used for this kind of work? Looks like there are two options, one piece T+G cutters or separate bits for tongue and groove. I'm a reasonable DIY carpenter, but haven't much experience on the router.

Any advice gratefully received, TIA
Nick

Sponsored Links
pullsaw with trenching
table saw with a complete jig
you can do it with a hand router but table is safer
if you use a hand router you have the chance that you will round onto the side causing the rebate to carry on a bit down the side

thanks big-all. Pullsaw with trenching - I just had to google that but I know what you mean now. Pullsaw with depth stop, I hadn't thought of that. I don't have a decent pullsaw but maybe it's time I got one. I've got quite a lot of cuts to make.

What do you think of the biscuit jointer idea?

On second thoughts, would the pullsaw be practical? I'd be trying to cut grooves across the end of boards that are still quite long (2m+)?

Sponsored Links
biscuit or groove and 6mm ply strips
and whatever you do unless the cut ends are exactly cut square where they will but up together
cut the ends square with your saw on the left hand side then the rh side for the adjoining bit then the cut ends will match exactly even if they are a fraction out

no you cannot groove the end you can only remove material from the faces as in half lap and making a tongue across the boards

Ok thanks again big-all. I might even take the easy way out here. i can make perfect butt joints with my chop saw using the technique you suggest. why am i worrying about T+G or any sort of joint? I'm not sure really....these boards will be fully glued down. think i might be over-engineering things again. it has been known!

it helps to hold them together if one plank wants to rise it is held by the other

but to be honest the txg on the sides hold the planks in line

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back