Installing reclaimed Junckers 22mm beech

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

first post on here! Long time lurker though, so i know most, if not allof this has been covered before. But i just need a wee bit of re-assurance from people that actually know what they're talking about.

Bought some 22mm reclaimed Junckers sports hall beech floor to do my downstairs with. We already have 18mm engineered stuff down, but it's in a bad way and it time for a change.

So, I have borrowed a powernailer 45 to do some nailing. Going onto 18mm chipboard on top of joists (modern type house, built in 2000). I was intending to re-use the underlay that is currently under the floating engineered wood.

So should I use 38 or 50mm cleats?

My local screwfix sell Bostitch cleats - will they fit the powernailer?

And should i use 3mm lost head nails, with a pilot hole, for the bits where the nailer cant be used?

thanks in advance for your inputs,

best regards,

paul

Sponsored Links
Guys, been doing abit of arithmetic at lunch time.

I reckon the 38mm cleats will poke out of the chip board with a vertical depth of 0.83mm, the 50mm cleats will be around 9.35mm, vertical. So i think i'll go with the 38mm ones.

Also, i found a post on the screwfix forum which says the Bostitch cleats will work in the Powernail 45 gun.

So should be all systems go for saturday morning. Wish me luck...

At best it sounds like a dodgy diy job !!
I would use "sisalkraft" dpm building paper. Nail the floor using a "floor nailer". Job Done .

Acclimatise your reclaimed flooring over 48hrs min. (put it in the room to fitted)

Find your joists, as hardwood flooring should not be nailed directly to chipboard !!

Hire a "face nailer" for the boards around the perimeter..

Wish you luck ? You'll need it if you don't take heed my friend.. Is that how you spell heed?

no good angle nailing in chipboard it will delaminate

and the maths bit a nail at 45 degrees will have 40% more material to go into
so you have the distance from the top off the tounge around 14mm plus the flooring 18mm = 32mm plus 40% is 45mm so 5mm will stick out but only protrude about 3mm from the surface

if you use 38mm you will only have 18mm into the flooring as against 25mm

if you must i would use the 50mm but it will fail what ever just a bit sooner with 38mm nails

Sponsored Links
mac, biggie,

I was going to give you two a hard time for trying to be smart arses, but you know what, it aint worth the effort, maybe one day I'll be as clever as you are...

thanks for your input,

paul

mac, biggie,

I was going to give you two a hard time for trying to be smart a**es, but you know what, it aint worth the effort, maybe one day I'll be as clever as you are...

thanks for your input,

paul

not sure iff that comment was aimed at me at all ??
all my comments are meant to be helpful and informative nothing else
if you thought any part was other than helpful please tell me which part so i can try and reword it to make sense :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back