Cut ends on end-matched tongue and groove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be laying solid oak T&G at the weekend. I've spent quite a while drawing out a plan using Google SketchUp, which I basically started to make sure I had enough flooring. (Even though I ordered +10%.)

I will be gluing to screed. Although I've been thinking it through for ages, it has only just dawned on me that in a few places I am going to have a cut board meeting with a tongue or a groove.

So I'm wondering whether I should quickly purchase an appropriate router cutter set. Or perhaps the odd butt-joint is not a problem?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
orv - freehand routing for T&G is possible but the use of a router table is the better method; do you already have a router?

An alternative (and probably a better method) might be to consider biscuit joints. If you've only got a few butt joints (and you are bonding to the sub-floor) ensure that the two faces are cut then biscuit joint. You can get a cheepo biscuit jointer sometimes complete with a kit of biscuits chucked-in. You can also do these joins on 'the fly' as you're laying the floor ... no need to venture over to the workbench.

orv - freehand routing for T&G is possible but the use of a router table is the better method; do you already have a router?

An alternative (and probably a better method) might be to consider biscuit joints. If you've only got a few butt joints (and you are bonding to the sub-floor) ensure that the two faces are cut then biscuit joint. You can get a cheepo biscuit jointer sometimes complete with a kit of biscuits chucked-in. You can also do these joins on 'the fly' as you're laying the floor ... no need to venture over to the workbench.

I have a router table, but yes I hadn't thought of biscuit jointing. Good idea. My neighbour is a retired joiner so he may have a biscuit jointer I can borrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back