Hissing sound in wall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. The wall in my bedroom has a hissing noise emanating from it. It sounds almost like white noise. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it may be?

Sponsored Links
That would usually be caused by a small leak from a high pressure water pipe like a mains water pipe.

But usually it would also result in a damp patch somewhere!

Tony

Hi, Tony. So far no damp patches as far as I can tell. I have only noticed the sound for a few days. I take it this problem won't just magically "go away". :( Do you think I'll have to hire a professional to open the wall up and do the repairs?

You can try to work out what pipes might be inside the wall.

Probably a DIY job to CAREFULLY make a hole in the wall depending on what the wall is made of. Then a pro to fix it.

But depending on the property try turning off mains water into the property and see if noise stops.

Whats the property type and layout?

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is an X-Y type question.

Do you live on ground floor, on an upper floor.
What are your walls made of
What services run up walls
Has hissing just started or has it been there for days, weeks, months, years
What building work has been done to possibly cause noise
Do you smell gas - does building have gas
Do you have snakes, termites, bees etc in vicinity

Some background information would save an awful lot of blind guesswork

It's a single story house. No work has been done. Sound has only been there for a few days. No gas. No snakes or insects. I may just wait a couple of weeks to see if the problem resolves itself. I'll also consider turning off mains water to see if the sound stops.

Could also be an "unapproved" joint in an electrical cable "sizzling" away. You could try turning the power off and seeing if the sound stops.

I'll look into it Jackrae. Thanks for the suggestion!

Could also be an "unapproved" joint in an electrical cable "sizzling" away. You could try turning the power off and seeing if the sound stops.
Likewise try turning off the mains water, then the central heating it might be water noise in the pipe to the loft tank, or the pipes to the radiators.

Have a look on top of your room, is there any dish like thing with flashing lights? UFO may be trying to land seeking your approval, if not snake can be strong possibility, and who on earth runs pipes in cavity walls in a bedroom?

Can it be extractor fan noise?
or its flexible hose coming apart leaking air?
This could be running beneath your bedroom floor boards and there might be a bathroom below it, like ground floor clock room etc.
Is the source of noise pinnable to a particular spot?

Will if people are going to be silly then perhaps its a:-

madagascar hissing cockroach

madagascar-hissing-cockroach-illustration_360x288.jpg

FFS!
Op: What makes you think it's plumbing related?
As previously mentioned, isolate all services and see if noise persists... If it does, you might have tinnitus :(

I would say this is a monumentally silly idea.

Thanks for prompting me into action.

We turned off the cold water to the house and the sound stopped. Now looks like we have to tear down walls to locate the source. This is terrible...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back