Hissing Water Pipe???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Just stumbled across this website when searching the internet for the answer to my problem. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

Firstly, I have no plumbing knowledge despite working for a major bathroom manufacturer so please keep any questions or recommendations very simple :confused:

Yesterday I noticed a hissing sound which seems to be coming from water pipes. It can be heard loudly at the kirtchen tap and louder in the cupboard underneath. It can also be heard by the combi boiler in the next room.

There is no sign of a leak and this has happened before only not so loud and seemed to resolve itself. I have tried turning the stopcock off in the house but for some reason it wont turn off so I already need a plumber for that..
Can anyone suggest what this might be?

Thanks in advance... :)

Sponsored Links
might be a leak in the incoming main under the floor. If the house is 50 year old or more,and the pipe is steel, this is very likely. It may well be at the elbow where the pipe turn up to come through the floor.

If you can find a stop cock in the pavement or garden, that will help you trace it.

This kind of leak is a bit louder at night when the water pressure goes up.

Obviously you have already checked all your taps and appliances for leaks, and have closed the service valves and removed the boiler filling loop, and have checked the garden tap and pipework.

Got woken up about 4:00 one morning by what I thought was someone playing a bugle very badly... went out of the house to see what the %$£*" was going on, and almost fell down a 3 foot deep crater full of water!

The water board had recently replaced the main in the street, and their nice new plastic pipe had blown off our stopcock, and washed out a big hole in the road.

By the time they turned up to fix it, you could park a car in the hole!

Unfortunately, my car was stuck in the driveway for the rest of the week as a procession of service suppliers turned up to attend to all the services under the pavement that ran through the elephant trap they dug out right in front of our gateway :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back