hitachi feeview box can i get more internet channels ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
its a freeveiw recorder with some internet like bbc iplayer and some pay for veiw
what i would like to know is there a way to get other free like more four itv player or simillar
i can watch all the free on a second monitor connected to my laptop but would like the choice off all free beyond chrome cast and the hitachi boxveiwed on the main tv
and can the hitachi be updated or even the chrome cast to get more chanells rather than just systems up dates??

Sponsored Links
It's rare for major TV manufacturers to allow their product to be open to 3rd party/additional apps. Most of the time they write the coding in house to make use of those streams that they feature.

one off the on screen messages are that i have to tick and accept that to connect you accept its a third party portal or words to that effect and hitachi has no connection or responcibiliy
the on screen has "smart TVue in the corner
done a bit more digging
have 8 apps on my screen
http://smartvue.tv/#whatapps-landing

That's just standard disclaimer. All they're saying is "Yes, we make this or that service available via a feature of the TV, but we aren't the guys responsible for controlling the actual content of what you see or hear so don't try to sue us". That's something very different from 'here's our telly and you can run any app you like on it just like having a PC or tablet'.

I'm only aware of Sony's attempt to integrate Google TV into a select range of their products to make the "run any app" thing a reality. The results have been somewhat mixed. The rest of the TV market wants you to only run the apps that they provide, and that means either just the ones the box ships with, or as Samsung and Panasonic have tried for example, a ring-fenced set of apps available from a dedicated portal accessible only via the TV. This kind of ring=fenced approach means the manufacturers have some control of the user experience, which in other words means they're less likely to have a whole load of customers complaining to dealers and them that apps don't work right and "could I have my money back for this TV please".

I think you're on a hiding to nothing by trying to add more apps to the Hitachi recorder if the box doesn't already support them. My advice to you is to forget about going that route. It's likely to be a waste of time. Try instead having a look at something like the Android TV boxes. They can run the same kind of apps that are available for Android-based mobile phones. The boxes are small, inexpensive, WiFi enabled and connect to your TV via a regular HDMI cable.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for taking the time and trouble
i have had the machine for six months with the internet connection unnused
i just thought i would try out the plug in sender that came free with the virtually unused talk talk tv box plugged in the front room
its a space thing but might just put the tv box in the middle room where i spend most off my time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back