Hitachi M12VE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
just wondering if anyone has any more tips for M12 router (or for newbie in general)
I have it ordered for delivery Monday, I will practice until comfortable before cutting wood worktops however I am a little confused as to the direction of travel possible in particular. I understand keep cuts on the left, but videos I have seen show pushing forward, pulling back, turning in circle. I don't want to be scared of it, I know they are dangerous if misused and powerful, but would like to be able to throw it around the wood a little so to speak.

Also do bits show recommended speed setting? and is there any correlation between the numerical dial and set speed? 800- 2200rpm.

lastly I have read old reviews regarding fitting of cutters being tricky with two nuts, however newer video shows a locking button and one nut; is this an updated design perhaps?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I am a little confused as to the direction of travel possible in particular. I understand keep cuts on the left, but videos I have seen show pushing forward, pulling back, turning in circle.
When routing an edge the material should be to the left, the fence to the right of the cutter and you almost always push the router away from you. Because the cutter rotates in a clockwise direction (viewed from above) this arrangement effectively pulls the router onto the work (against the fence or cutter bearing) as well as pushing backwards towards you - which is why you push, NOT pull. You should in general try to avoid what is called a "climb cut", e.g. work to the left, fence to the right and pulling towards you OR work to the right, fence to the left and pushing, because in a climb cut the router will try to push away from the material (and in the case of the pull cut also towards you, so double dangerous)

When cutting edges always ensure that you don't over work the cutter - on edge cuts that means never cutting more than half of the diameter of the cutter (so for a 16mm diameter cutter, you'd never cut greater than 7mm in one pass). If you hear the router labouring stop and take a lighter pass. Do the cut in two, three or even more stages. A labouring router can and will stall or potentially kick back. Always try to take multiple light cuts rather than a single heavy one - the cut quality will be better

Also do bits show recommended speed setting? and is there any correlation between the numerical dial and set speed? 800- 2200rpm
The M12e settings are 8,000 to 22,000 rpm. I think it runs 1 to 6 (not sure) with 1 being 8,000rpm and 6 being 22,000rpm which should give the following approximate progression (by basic maths):

1 - 8,000
2 - 10,800
3 - 13.600
4 - 16,400
5 - 19,200
6 - 22,000rpm

Always use the highest safe speed for the cutter you are using (for straights up to about 20mm that means top speed) and I'd suggest you avoid using larger cutters until you've gained a bit of experience on how the router should feel and sound

I have read old reviews regarding fitting of cutters being tricky with two nuts, however newer video shows a locking button and one nut; is this an updated design perhaps?
Most modern routers use a single spanner on the nut with a button to lock the shaft. The first router to come out with this was (I think) the Elu MOF177e in about 1984. It's taken other manufacturers a while to catch up with Elu (and some still haven't)

I'll throw in a few tips about installing cutters:

- Always install the shank of the cutter as far as you can, then pull it back out by 3 or 4 millimetres so that there is a small space between the top of the cutter and the bottom of the hole in the shaft

- Don't ram the cutter hard into the collet - there is often a small rounded fillet between the shank of the router cutter and it's body and this needs to be clear of the bottom of the collet by a couple of millimetres when you tighten up the collet to ensure that the cutter shank is properly gripped

- Don't be tempted to pull-out the cutter too far (and then compensate by overtightening the collet) - the shank should occupy the full length of the collet - if it doesn't the cutter can work loose in use or the top of the collet can collapse and permanently deform. If it deforms it can't hold any cutter safely and you may get massive vibration

- Lastly don't ever tighten the collet without having a cutter inserted - this will permanently deform the collet (see above)

Lot in there, I know, but manuals don't always have this stuff.

Happy routering!

just be aware its a huge machine :D

you will get it out the box and turn it on and change your underpants lol
once you get used to it you will respect it and take great care
for general routering a 1/4" is less scary most chippies have 2 or more routers often set up for different tasks i have several

thanks guys, more great advice. JK those are the tips i really need it looks like, how not to screw up and break/ injure something before i start? :rolleyes:

big all, it looks a beast in the video, shall only really know when I get my hands on it. but I was scared to turn on my miter saw at first, lol, and now im flying along. I have JobandKnock to blame anyway, it was his recommendation that led to me spending more on it, hehe. the reviews were spot on.

Sponsored Links
I have JobandKnock to blame anyway, it was his recommendation that led to me spending more on it, hehe. the reviews were spot on.
That's it, blame me! BTW if it works you owe me a virtual pint - if it doesn't, I don't exist, I'm merely a stream of disembodied conciousness loose on t'Interweb :rolleyes:

Happy routing!

thanks guys, more great advice. JK those are the tips i really need it looks like, how not to screw up and break/ injure something before i start? :rolleyes:

big all, it looks a beast in the video, shall only really know when I get my hands on it. but I was scared to turn on my miter saw at first, lol, and now im flying along. I have JobandKnock to blame anyway, it was his recommendation that led to me spending more on it, hehe. the reviews were spot on.

to do worktops you need a decent 1/2" router
any decent 1/2" router will be off similar size and weight :D

OK, I have resigned myself to the fact I shall s**t a brick tomorrow when I unbox the beast, lol.
I will be looking into making a table so I can make the most of it in due course. Does anyone know what the name is for the switches I have seen on some tables, where you plug in your router and have safety switch on side of table?
Also, would you recommend using this router for cutting biscuits in worktop to stop vertical movement?

It can do biscuit slotting - you'll need a biscuit slotting set. I'd suggest going for one with a 1/2in shank rather than the 1/4in shank type. The price difference is minimal

my Hitch arrived today, and as stated it is huge. I have looked at some cheap biscuit cutters, but am not sure as to how the cut works. I guess you use guide rail, but plunge to the side?
is it just a straight in out cut, or does it need lengthening?

my Hitch arrived today, and as stated it is huge. I have looked at some cheap biscuit cutters, but am not sure as to how the cut works. I guess you use guide rail, but plunge to the side?
is it just a straight in out cut, or does it need lengthening?

slots work better with a router just stop 12-20mm before the cutter will appear at the end
the guide bearing dictates the slot depth
you should always use level with the machine flat on the surface

Do you mean one continuous slot the length of the join? I have just seen an article on that. Sound like a good idea. Should i glue them still? As it is for vertical allignment more than strengh, i have also read that biscuits can be loose until glued and swelled.

Do you mean one continuous slot the length of the join? I have just seen an article on that. Sound like a good idea.
No need to have a full length slot unless you intend to use a loose plywood tongue. Easier to cut, but personally I think it tends to lead to slight weakening of the joint. It may be just personal bias, but biscuits also seem to be looser when inserted into full length slots
Should i glue them still? As it is for vertical allignment more than strength
I wouldn't glue them. There's no need. The purpose of these biscuits is just to align the tops while you get the joiners in. It's the dog bone joiners which actually pull the joint together. Because worktop joints may need need to be dismantled and reassembled several times before you are satisfied with the fit gluing the joints at the wrong point could have disasterous consequences. There's also the fact that you are joining cross grain (the cut end) to long grain components - the two move (expand and contract) at different rates with changes in the atmosphere (as does ALL timber) so gluing them together could cause splitting at some point in the future (I have seen this). Your call, but I wouldn't.
i have also read that biscuits can be loose until glued and swelled.
If your slots are properly cut using a reasonable quality cutter and the biscuits are of reasonable quality then the biscuits should just push in and be finger tight. Badly stored biscuits swell and won't push-in, although you may be able to get away with sanding them. Cheap low-quality biscuits are invariably undersize (loose) no matter how accurate the slot (although you can dampen them a bit to swell them a bit as a work-around - not a solution I like TBH). Poor machining and/or poor quality tooling can result in oversized slots. That's my experience of using them over about 35 years (bought my first biscuit jointer in 1981). The other thing is that you really should cut the slots and assemble the joint in the same session - don't cut the slots and leave it until the following morning to insert the biscuits because the timber can swell/move overnight (really!). BTW between sessions keep your biscuits in an air tight container (e.g. old biscuit tin), double polythene bagged and with a couple of sachets of silica gel (I get mine from packaging that comes with stuff we've bought)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back