Are you saying the chimney is worse than when he did the work? there is obviously a problem with the dry ridge system! unfortunately I was getting sea sick from the video footage so I couldn't make anything out.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the chimney is worse than when he did the work? there is obviously a problem with the dry ridge system! unfortunately I was getting sea sick from the video footage so I couldn't make anything out.
The chimney breast in our bedroom was dry prior to getting the new roof. The damp marks have only emerged since having the new roof. I should have mentioned that as part of reroofing he did rebuild the top few courses of the chimneys as they didn’t have drip courses previously.

I suspect the damp in your chimney is due to the lead work especially the back gutter.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't see the top of the chimney, is it capped are you using it?
It’s not currently in use but we’re considering using it in future, so decided to keep the chimney when we were reroofing. There are vents in the breast on the ground and first floor rooms and it’s has a cowl on top

The further pics/vids don’t show the state if the back gutter, if that’s wrong it could explain the damp on the chimney breast. It might be worth getting an independent building survey, if it’s financially worthwhile given the 25% retention you hold

Blup

Thanks all for your comments.

I'll get up on a ladder tomorrow and take a photo of the back gutter and post here - hopefully that will reveal something!

Hi all

The damp marks on the chimney are getting worse by the day. Attached below is:
* A picture of the damp marks this morning
* Two pictures of the back gutter - hopefully these are helpful @blub @catlad

I've also taken a video of the back gutter that capture more aspect of the back gutter here. Apologies it's a bit wobbly - I was up a ladder with my phone sellotaped to the end of a pole!

While I was up there I noticed that the pointing on the stack was darker in places and there were streaks on the chimney (as part of the re-roof the roofer re laid the top few courses of the chimney and repointed the entire thing). I'm not sure if this could be related to the issues? I've therefore also taken a video showing the full chimney stack here.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 12.26.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 12.26.02.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 12.47.15.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 12.47.15.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
Well I can see now he has cemented the tiles behind the chimney, which is a fail!

Should be left so water can drain out.
Thanks - are you referring to water that ends up between the membrane and the tiles?

I am wondering if water is getting in that space in our roof and that is causing both our problems - making the joists damp as it trickles along the membrane then hitting the cement at the chimney and going under the lead work.

It wrong! you know that, because you have problems you didn't have before.
Yep agreed I know it’s wrong.

I was just wondering where water needs to to be allowed to drain from… as I’m trying to work out if all the problems are linked and water is getting between the tiles and membrane and causing the damp joists and the wet chimney

Thanks all for input so far.

One additional question: the roofer repointed the chimneys at the time of doing the roof. I’ve attached a picture of them below. What are people’s views on the pointing? Look ok? I ask because the different shades look a bit unusual to my untrained eye. Could this be a source of the problem? I don’t think the chimney was painted with storm dry when it was worked on. If I did this would it protect both the bricks and pointing?

Attachments

• 34C6698A-C0F9-4D24-856F-47C818A4C899.png
    34C6698A-C0F9-4D24-856F-47C818A4C899.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back