Hive 2 multi zone installation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help wanted please!

I am planning to install Hive Active Heating 2 and replace Hortsmann h37xl; 2 heating zones and hot water. I have a hot water tank in my flat which feeds back to a communal boiler. My current setup has 2 htg zones with 2 wired honeywell thermostats.

I have 2 x Hive thermostats and 2 x receivers (1 x single channel and 1 x dual channel).

I am hoping to connect the dual receiver upto htg zone 1 & hot water and the single receiver upto htg zone 2.

Here's the backplate for the Hortsmann h37xl
IMG_20191101_150659.jpg

Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 16.15.54.png

Here the diagram's for the Hive single and dual receivers
Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 16.17.04.png

I am guessing i need to do the following...
For dual channel connect existing wire 1 to 4 and 5 to 3
For single channel connect existing wire 3 to 3

1). I am bit unsure where I get another N & L from? (as i am now going from 1 to 2 receivers)
2). Also what do I do with existing wired thermostats?
3). what the common terminal for on the single receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
The same mains supply is connected wired to both Hive's L/N/E [you can connect the existing wires in L/N/E to one Hive, and then run an L/N/E from it to the second Hive to achieve this]

Then the wiring diagrams you have posted provide the rest of the information you need, and you have worked it out correctly. You will need to add a link at the single channel Hive as well.

The wire in Honeywell 5 is HW on, so goes to Dual Channel Hive HW on (3)
The wire in Honeywell 1 is CH1 on, so goes to Dual Channel Hive Heating on (4)

The wire in Honeywell 3 is CH2 on,so goes to Single Channel Hive Heating on (3)
The single channel Hive will also require a wire adding to link terminals (L) and (1) Common

The existing thermostats will need to be decommissioned properly, they can't just be disconnected. For now you can leave them in place and set to maximum so that they don't interfere with the Hive. Then If you need assistance to decommission them, post back details of their make / model and the wires connected to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

Can you recommend where to buy some cabling from? I'd like to try and avoid buying a big spool of it if possible as I only need to do this job.
When you say run L/N/E from one Hive receiver to the other do I need to use a junction box or anything? I am not sure exactly how to do this? From the first receiver do I just add a single L/N/E wire to the 2nd receiver? Does that mean in the 1st receiver there will be effectively 3 wires in each of the L/N/E terminals (2 existing and 1 extension)?

The 2 existing stats are Hortsmann HRT3's.

IMG_20191101_205435.jpg

IMG_20191101_205536.jpg

What do I need to do in order to disconnect them correctly?

Thanks

The wires in terminal 1 (looks to be the brown?) and terminal 3 (looks to be the black?) should be permanently joined together, and the neutral in 4 (looks to be the grey?) isolated / insulated safely

Alternatively, trace the cable back to its origin and note where the wires are connected. Then disconnect all three wires and insert a link between the terminals where you have just removed the wires that went to 1 and 3 from. The old thermostat cable and thermostat can then be removed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you recommend where to buy some cabling from?
DIY outlets, Wilkinsons etc; sell it by the metre.

When you say run L/N/E from one Hive receiver to the other do I need to use a junction box or anything? I am not sure exactly how to do this?

You could use a junction box but this is what I had in mind

img481.jpg

Make sure that the outer sheath continues inside the backplate though, so that individual wires aren't on show literally like my sketch.

Thanks for your replies; so helpful!
I notice that the Hive receiver only has an earth tether point? Is it ok to be running just N&L not E to Hive 1 and Hive 2?

The Hive itself is double insulated, so it does not require an earth connection but the manufacturers provide a tether, or somewhere to park any existing earth wires that need to remain connected together.

Thanks again for your help. All wired up and working.

Does my wiring look ok? I guess I've done a bit of a naughty and used the earth in the 3-core connecting Hive 1 to Hive 2 for splicing the CH2 wire. I've labelled both ends but guessing that's frowned upon? And 3 wires in Hive 1 N-L terminals, is that ok, not too crammed?

IMG_20191112_160445.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't have used the earth, as a live, but as you have it should at least have a brown sleeve on, insulation tape will fall off.

Apart from that you have wires in the terminals where I would expect to see them, assuming the left is the dual channel and the right the single ;).

Whilst it's important that the terminals clamp on the conductor and not the insulator, if possible, there shouldn't really be quite as much copper exposed though, you run the risk of a short circuit. This is what you should aim for:

Capture.JPG

This is a different type of installation to yours, so don't worry that the wires are different, it's just to show you an example of the terminations, in your case with several flexible conductors it is slightly more difficult, so you will have a bit more conductor showing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back