Hive Active Heating replacing Alpha RF Receiver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening Gentlemen,

I am going to replace my current Alpha Evoke Combi Boiler RF Climatic Controller with a Hive and just had 2 questions that you may be able to help me with.

1. I assume the hive signals for HW on and Heat on are the RF controller signals in picture 1 (Terminals 44 & 41). Just wondering if someone can help me as to which one is HW and Heating or shall I just have to play with both until I get it the correct way around?

https://imgur.com/gallery/8onGuHs - Figure 1
https://imgur.com/gallery/uIYaERy - Figure 2 - Alpha Evoke Instructions for RF fitting

2. Do I need to remove the link in terminals 1&2 as it needs to be removed with the Alpha RF controller installed. explained in Figure 2. I was under the assumption that when fitting a Hive - the link needed to be in place.

Any help is appreciated

Dee Dee

Sponsored Links
*sigh* another person downgrading their existing controls to something which is going to make the boiler less efficient (n) I despair, I really do... :(

Do not connect anything other than an approved Alpha control to the Alpha climatic control connections. Anything else will blow the board. Hive needs to be connected across the 220v room thermostat connections, and the link needs to be removed. As you have a combi boiler, there is no hot water to control, just heating. Hopefully you've bought a single channel Hive...

Muggles,

Thabks for the reply, really appreciate it! Im not after efficiency im after ease of use as i have a busy household that are "app" orientated and the hive will no doubt make like easier - unless i missed a better smart version that you would recommend?

Now I've had time to have a proper look at the controls, it seems your boiler is OpenTherm compatible. You'd therefore be much better off with an OpenTherm controller, as you'll keep the efficiency of the Alpha Climatic whilst adding in app control. Hive is just a dumb on off switch with an Internet connection. The Honeywell T6 (or T6R if you need a wireless one) will suit you much better

Sponsored Links
Muggles,

Legend, thankyou for the advice. I will fit the hive as a quick fix to please the wife then look into the other 2 you recommend for January (moving into a new build today)!!! From your initial post - does it matter which way i connect the hive accross terminals for the room thermo?

Dee Dee

As you are downgrading the controls to a simple on/off switch type thermostat, it doesn't have the advanced communication facilities of the climatic controls so would connect to terminals 1 & 2 as below. If you have the single channel Hive it's terminals 1 (Common) & 3 (Heating on). The Hive will also need a 230V mains supply to N & L. Thsi should be via the same fused spur as the boiler.

Capture.JPG

If you have to open up a room sealed part of the boiler to access the terminals, then it's not a DIY job and should only be done by a RGI who can carry out the necessary checks t make sure that it's properly sealed up again afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back