hive connection to ep2002

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to connect hive thermostat to replace failing ep2002.I have read the posts on forum so got a rough idea what to do.

My ep2002 wireing looks more complicated than some others ive seen.

Could someone please take a look and advise on what goes where.

Any help most appreciated

Attachments

• 20181217_115239.jpg
    20181217_115239.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
The EP2002 wiring needs to be altered to go into a wiring centre, and Hive fitted next to it. Probably not a DIY job unless you're confident with electronics, but if you were then you wouldn't be asking on here...

Whilst it can look complicated. The EP contains standard programmer connections, plus some additional terminals that don't have any other purpose than to connect the wires that are in them together. The Hive doesn't have this facility, so new connectors will have to be provided to contain these wires. The tricky bit is finding space for them. As @muggles said this can be difficult. If it's possible, I generally sink a back box in the wall behind the Hive receiver to enclose the new terminals and just bring the wires needed for the Hive through to the Hive backplate.

A note of caution though. If you decide to DIY make sure you identify and mark each of the wires. There are several red wires for example, if you unwittingly transpose a two of them it can be extremely difficult to fault find, without tracing each wire individually and knowing what is connected to the other end.

So starting with the programmer part, electrically speaking you are just changing one switch for another identical switch. The EP has the connections as below.

EP.JPG

The wires from the EP move to the Hive connections that have the same function, and in your case the terminals correspond, N-N / L-L / 3-3 / 4-4. The wire link presently in the EP between terminals L and 5 is discarded as this is already made for you inside the Hive, so the Hive doesn't need, or have a terminal 5.

Hive.JPG

The EP right hand vertical terminal strip is for the earth wires, they should remain connected together. An earth connection should also be made to any new back box if it is metal. Put some earth sleeving on the bare earth wires that don' t have it.

The EP left hand vertical terminal strip is for the neutrals, the wires presently in there should remain connected together.

Terminals A, B, C & D are not connected to the workings of the EP, they are simply connectors that are provided for the installers convenience. So for example the two yellow wires in 'B' need to remain connected together. The same applies to the wires in each of the other terminals. (A is vacant & I can't see C & D clearly enough to describe what is in them)

Finally any existing room thermostat should be decommissioned, by linking the live switching wires together so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the Hive, it can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring would remain 'open circuit' and the heating will not operate. If you need any help with this then post back details of the existing room thermostat.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick replies

Before tidying up wireing with back box etc could I just remove the wires that are needed from EP obviously not putting faceplate back on effectively using as connector block,trace and link room thermostat then connect N-N / L-L / 3-3 / 4-4 as shown

Sponsored Links
You could if you just wanted to test it first, then effectively the EP backplate would just be acting as junction box. It wouldn't be safe to leave it like that though as there are live parts exposed.

Don't forget the old room thermostat (if you have one) will need attention as it will still be wired in circuit and could override the Hive. You could just set it to its maximum setting as a temporary measure during testing though if you wish, but it's not an ideal permanent solution, particularly if the existing thermostat is battery operated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back