Hive controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just swapped my Honeywell wired programmer and old thermostat for a 1st gen Hive unit. All wired up and working from the sender, but as I don't have internet here (doing my the house up), how can I get the receiver to work as it's always trying to find the hub

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry I only speak English

Do you mean the WiFi hub (ie the router that you don't have) or the Hub that comes with the Hive?

Apologies, autocorrect error. I meant the wifi hub, I have the Hive hub

If it's looking for the WiFi router and there isn't one present, I don't think there is much you can do.

A lot of devices rely on a WiFi router for comms between them, and obviously they won't work without one. However, because the Hive has its own Hub I would have expected that the Receiver and Thermostat would communicate via the Hive Hub without a Router. Can you place the components close together and see it they can communicate then. That would rule out any other communication issues. Also make sure the order of starting things up follows the Hive instructions.

It's possible that the software prevents comms if the WiFi is missing because of product registration, updates, and access to portable devices with the Hive App that need the WiFi. So a call to Hive may be the only recourse.

Sponsored Links
you can register the product via the hive app on iphone, but I very much doubt it will work until you get broadband conncted

you can register the product via the hive app on iphone, but I very much doubt it will work until you get broadband conncted

Thanks

I'll get a portable router and use my phone as a hotspot and see if that works

do you have neighbours or is it a detached place, if it is in range of a neighbour you could ask if you could plug it into theirs, till you set it up, once registered you can use it just as a thermostat until you get broadband installed, you can wire in the receiver and switch it on and off manually if that is easier, you wont get phone access to control anything till it is on broadband

do you have neighbours or is it a detached place, if it is in range of a neighbour you could ask if you could plug it into theirs, till you set it up, once registered you can use it just as a thermostat until you get broadband installed, you can wire in the receiver and switch it on and off manually if that is easier, you wont get phone access to control anything till it is on broadband
I have neighbours, so will ask them when they are in as the travel router didn't work. Hopefully the signal is strong enough

I have neighbours, so will ask them when they are in as the travel router didn't work. Hopefully the signal is strong enough
I have done that before to get it working , if you do that when you get your own connection you will have to change it in settings , not a difficult thing to do

Do you just mean you want to set it up in standalone mode?, just transmitter and receiver?

I have a 4g portable router for this purpose - it works fine. I don't use the phone as a hotspot though as this conflicts with setup.

I use this...

image.jpg

Tried plugging into the neighbours but no success, not sure if distance too far or an issue, so ended up removing wiring and taking home. Wired sender with 3core flex, plugged in hub and managed to get it working after messing about with it for a while. The red & yellow lights kept flashing alternatively.

Will take it back tomorrow and reinstall hoping it will work standalone as need to get heating on for a flush

Thanks again all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back